SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Beginning the search for a 45 suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginning the search for a 45 suppressor Login/Join 
posted
I've done some reading and believe ive narrowed it down to 3 choices. The Rugged Obsidian, CGS Nautilas and the Dead Air Ghost are on my list. This will primarily stay on a 9mm pcc via tri-lug but will see use on both 9 and 45 pistols with both left and right thread patterns.

If you have experience with any or all of these your input would be appreciated.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one that I have experience with is the Obsidian 45. I used it primarily on 9mm PCCs using tri-lug until I replaced it with a Wolfman. Now it lives on my LWRC SMG-45.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lgs does have a wolfman in stock, do you feel it performs better on the pcc vs the Obsidian?

Several months ago my thought process was put a wolfman on the ghm9 and leave it be. Then do something different for the pistols, I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on 2 pistol caliber suppressors.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
No actual experience with it yet but after a lot of research (and not a few positive recommendations from SF folks) I just last month started the Long Wait on an Obsidian 45. I ordered an extra piston for it so I can use it on my 9's as well.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
My lgs does have a wolfman in stock, do you feel it performs better on the pcc vs the Obsidian?

Several months ago my thought process was put a wolfman on the ghm9 and leave it be. Then do something different for the pistols, I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on 2 pistol caliber suppressors.

The Wolfman is a larger diameter can optimized for PCCs and I do feel that it performs better for that use. However, it’s only a 9mm can, so if you ever intend to suppress .40/10mm/45, it’s not going to work out. My choice in originally buying the Obsidian 45 was for the possibility of using it on bigger calibers, which later on turned out to be the right choice for me. Otherwise, I would have just bought an Obsidian 9 at the time (Wolfman didn’t exist when I bought the Obsidian).

On the flip side, Wolfman is a bit too large and heavy for using on regular pistols. It’s really optimized for PCC. If you just want one can for use on both pistol and PCC, I think the Obsidian is a better choice.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 that stays on my Sig MPX-K. I added the Griffin Armament tri-lug mount with the LH thread for the MPX and got the tri lug mount with the can when Rugged had a really great bunch of extras included with the purchase. I love it. I also have Sig SRD45, haven't really run too much through it yet. The Obsidian being convertible to the K version let me match it up to barrel length and handguard so its pretty much buried. Since its also full auto rated, I run a binary trigger in the MPX too.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rev45 is awesome because Griffin offers so many mounting options

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Rugged Obsidian .45. It as quiet as any on the market, as far as I can discover. It is modular and easy to take apart. It is very easy to clean the stainless steel baffles. It is versatile with appropriate pistons. I use mine on my HK VP 9 , Ruger Mark IV, and my HK .45. The customer service is as good as it gets. They answer any and all questions before and after purchase and provide an lifetime warranty. Blowback is minimized due to construction. The price is competitive.

Posts: 72 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I got the Obsidian 45 in FDE.

It was available where I shop, my dealer carries parts that are compatible (I've gotten a mix of SiCo and Rugged pistons depending on what he's got in the thread size I need), it was in stock, I think it looks better than the others, and it performs at or near the top in most performance categories.

I considered the Ghost, can't go wrong with either from most accounts.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your input, I began the wait for an Obsidian 45 today!

posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting a silencer. I think we all should own at least one . You won’t regret owning the Obsidian. Get an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the baffles with either Simple Green or Purple Power. It’s easy . Don’t clean the aluminum tube or caps, etc. with it however. Follow the detailed instructions. It’s a breeze. Also, The folks at Rugged are really great at answering any question you may have .

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I put money down on an Obsidian 45 last week and completed my signatures via SilencerShop. Stupid easy. Of course, the day after I paid, reviews of the new OSS Rad 45 started showing up. Oh, well. I doubt I’ll regret the Obsidian.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading about the Rad45, I believe the Obsidian is equal or superior by a little in decibel reduction, convenience, versatility, and durability. I am not aware of anything on the market right now that can surpass the Rugged suppressors. I could be wrong about the comparisons but at any rate, you won’t be disappointed in the Obsidian.