SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressing .17HMR Updated with photo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressing .17HMR Updated with photo Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
Well I am finally getting the barrel on my Savage .17 HMR threaded so I can install a quick disconnect to use my YHM 5.56 can on this toy.

It is quiet by nature now, but will be stupid quiet with the suppressor on.

So now I will be able to run my can on my SBR, 24 inch heavy barrel AR, and my Sig M-400 as well as this little .17 HMR Savage.

quiet shooting is addictive.

Update: Photo of finished product.

Barrel is threaded, quick disconnect/flash hider installed, bi-pod installed, optics is the Redfield Revenge, suppressor is YHM 5.56 Phantom QD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lizardman_u,

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes it is.

My SiCo Sparrow (original) works great on my CZ 455 / 17HMR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Completely jacketed bullet with great accuracy . Have to thread my 17 HMR. Less leading than rimfire

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
This is stupid quiet. hear the spring of the firing pin and then the round hitting the backstop.... and that is with zero hearing protection.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Threaded my bull barrel 17 HMR. Hornady 17 HMR ammo. Not as quiet as I expected. Using 22 caliber suppressors-Axiom and Stinger. Will have to try larger suppressor next. Does 17 HMR come in subsonic?

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Hornady 17 HMR ammo. Not as quiet as I expected. Does 17 HMR come in subsonic?

Subsonic 17 HMR defeats the concept of the round. They started with a 22 magnum case, which is supersonic with 40-60 grain bullets. Then they necked it down and reduced the weight of the bullet to 17-20 grains.

It's a supersonic round from start to finish. No supersonic round will be truly quiet -- regardless of bore size or bullet weight.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
This. Still makes it much more enjoyable to shoot, even with the 'crack'.

Well worth suppressing a 17HMR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post