SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    .22 rimfire pistols as a suppressor host
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 rimfire pistols as a suppressor host Login/Join 
posted
Since I plan to plunge into a .22 suppressor soon, I am also thinking of a suppressor host pistol ( this will or can get expensive fast!)
Any and all opinions are of course welcome.
What I am primarily considering:
I currently have a S&W 422 that is incredibly reliable and I understand a simple thread adaptor is available to replace the barrel nut for suppressor use
A Ruger 22/45 lite I live within 20 miles of the Ruger factory so if anything breaks or there are any issues can go to the factory for repairs easily
I see a fair number of posts or videos on 1911 style 22’s like the gsg also
I am not a fan of the polymer framed combat trainer types like SR-22, M&P or various walthers, but if these are a great choice let me know.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Captain - I have several 22 pistol hosts and by far my favorite is my Ruger Mark3 22/45 Lite....Accurate little pistol and the Dead Air Mask is almost exactly the same diameter as the Ruger barrel so they also look good together....Also have the Taurus TX22, S&W M&P 22, and Walther P22....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
Tje 1911 style 22 will be the quietest host possible because of their lock or dwell time. I have the Colt/Umarex .22 and it really is quiet with the Ruger SR suppressor, the Mask, Liberty Regulator and many others. I also have the Ruger SR-22 which accepts any subsonic ammo without fail... the Waltjer PPQ M2 .22 which is very quiet, probably because of its longer barrel but it sometimes does not like the weakest .22 subs unless the chamber is very clean.
Favorite ammo is the S&B subsonic, it's the quietest I have found.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning Field Hunter and Rugers in 22/45 and standard configurations have suppressor ready pistols. I have a GSG 1911 22 and it is very sensitive to the ammo being used. CCI Mni Mags seem to work best with it. No ammo issues with the others.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My two favorites are M&P-22C and Beretta 87BB.

Ruger 22/45 or Mark II-IV would be nice as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My two favorites are M&P-22C and Beretta 87BB.

Ruger 22/45 or Mark II-IV would be nice as well.

Agree with the M&P-22C. Also, my older Mk III 22/45 Tactical was a great shooter. Sold it off in favor of a Mk IV 22/45 Lite which was a mistake. Not a fan of the Lite series after all. Will likely get another Mk IV 22/45 Tactical at some point.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ruger 22/45.
Mine is a older LITE and a host for my old Outback IID.

Everyone wants to shoot it and it still delivers "a mouse farting in cotton" noise levels!

Posts: 3996 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with both the ruger mk series and the s&w m&p .22 pistol.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Sleeper pistol for a suppressor host. A S&W 422 and 622. Low bore axis. Barrel also lowered so that a suppressor does not obstruct the sights.

Bad side. Getting harder and harder to find.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm really happy with my 22/45 Mk. IV and Dead Air Mask combo. My only complaint is that you go through that 10 round magazine FAST. I'm looking at picking up a Keltec CP33 at some point in the future, too.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta 87BB with an extra 87T barrel I had cut down and threaded. I also have an M&P-22 Compact.

Both suppress well; the S&W has better & adjustable sites.

I have thought about a Ruger 22/45 or getting one of my Mark IIs threaded but can't justify the cost with what I already have - however they are a great option IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Walther PPQ in 22LR.

I literally put 800-1K through it before I have to clean it. Eats everything.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8836 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 41 is my favorite, Ruger MKII is second.

Posts: 305 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have a DA Mask in process at ATF now so I've been trying to answer the same question. I don't care for striker-fired or DA/SA guns, so the short list is looking like this (not in any particular order):

* S&W SW22 Victory
* Ruger Mark IV Tactical
* Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical
* Ruger Mark IV Target
* Browning Buckmark Plus Lite

Not on my list (DA/SA), but for sheer style points: Walther PPK/s 22.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I currently have three suppressor host .22 pistols.

My favorite is a CZ Kadet that has an added threaded muzzle attachment.

My most accurate is a Beretta 89 with an extra barrel that has an added threaded muzzle attachment.

My latest suppressor host is a Walther PPQ 22. It comes from the factory with a threaded muzzle attachment. Accuracy is quite good and the trigger is nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MG34_Dan,

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark IV Tactical 22/45 and really like it. Most .22 ammo has been subsonic through it so it's very pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Factory threaded Mark IV does the trick for me. I believe it was a Talo limited production model. Accurate, dead reliable, and very quiet with a Dead Air Mask and standard bulk ammo.

That reminds me I need to clean it today... currently so fouled up it won't cycle, after thoroughly entertaining a pretty lady last week Big Grin

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Walther P22 with the adapter.

My buddy used to teach CCW classes with several of the walthers also, using a suppressor.

At about 5k thru mine the slide broke and Walther replaced it. I sold it after my buddy had several of his break also, probably related to the suppressors...

I bought a Ruger MKIII 22-45 and have loved this pistol since I removed the stupid magazine doo-dad. Makes it easier to disassemble and reassemble. Also put a volquartzen trigger in it.

Recently bought another Ruger 22-45 so my kid can have one too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger 22/45 is hard to beat. Love that combination. Have been shooting my new Glock 22lr w threaded barrel lately and I really enjoy that as well.

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can still find a Beretta 70S for a decent price, it is a treat to shoot suppressed. The sights don’t clear the can, but a stapler has more recoil than a suppressed 70S.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post