SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    22 WMR through a 22 LR can?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 WMR through a 22 LR can? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF. As usual, I've got questions.

I visited a friend recently who's got a Sig SRD22X, their suppressor for 22 LR.
Some time later I was surfing Ruger's site and had a look at the Ruger American Rimfire rifle (stock number 8349), in 22 WMR.

Operating with half a brain after a long day at work, I put 1 and 1 together and wondered, "can a fella put a 22 LR can on a 22 WMR rifle without screwing something up?"

What's the word, knowledgeable SF peeps?

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Suppressor baffles that are made out of stainless steel or titanium can handle 22WMR or 22 Mag, 17HMR, 17WSM, 5.7x28 and 22 Hornet. Off top of my head- Dead Air Mask, Tacsol Axiom, Yankee Hill Stinger.
Sig SRD22X has stainless baffles--so yes on 22 mag.
Remember 22LR is easy to suppress. Supersonic --you will hear the crack. Liberty Suppressors has a video shooting 22 mag.(Vector)
Watch the video to hear the difference...
https://libertycans.net/vector-22lr-rimfire-silencer/

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most of them can, but some cannot - typically those are micro suppressors and the like. But as mentioned the SIG one you have is good for 22WMR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Most of them can, but some cannot - typically those are micro suppressors and the like. But as mentioned the SIG one you have is good for 22WMR.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Sig SRD22X has stainless baffles--so yes on 22 mag.
Remember 22LR is easy to suppress. Supersonic --you will hear the crack.

Thank you both.

Now that you mention 22LR being easy to suppress, I wonder: is a suppressed 22WMR significantly louder? Maybe I ought to stick to looking at 22LR for my eventual suppressor host instead of 22WMR?

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Now that you mention 22LR being easy to suppress, I wonder: is a suppressed 22WMR significantly louder? Maybe I ought to stick to looking at 22LR for my eventual suppressor host instead of 22WMR?

If you want QUIET, a 22LR shooting subsonics, suppressed, is the way to go.

22WMR will suppress, but you'll get the supersonic "Crack" like I get with my 17HMR. Still pleasant to shoot but you get the crack.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Here's the direct link to compare reg 22 and 22 mag. 22 mag is at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...WXWo9tM#action=share

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Way cool. Thank you for the link.
Looks like I'm going to change focus from Ruger's 8349 to 8348.

God bless America.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Think about CZ 457At-One if you're thinking laminate, 22 LR.

Just saying.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-at-one/

posted Hide Post
CZ455/457 is great if you want to shoot 22LR / 22WMR / 17HMR, just change the barrels.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm typically a Ruger guy, never having had a CZ. Having said that, this 457 AT-One is mighty tempting. I see it's available with 16.5" or 24" barrel... opinions?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
22LR, you really don't gain much from 16 to 24" barrel.

Not to mention with a 5-8" suppressor on it, I nearly always go 16" barrel.

posted Hide Post
I think Winchester makes a subsonic .22 WMR. Expensive way to achieve .22 LR performance, but useful if you occasionally want to suppress you .22 WMR.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post