SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    .30 caliber can - which one and where to buy it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 caliber can - which one and where to buy it Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
It looks like it’s time to try out the suppressor world. I’m looking to snag a suppressor for use on a few ARs and a bolt action .243 and hopefully some use on a future 300BO. After a bit of Googling and reading I’m leaning towards a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 or YHM Resonator. Is there any reason why I should stay away from either of those? Also, any suggestions on where to buy them from?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You probably want to purchase from the dealer that will do the paperwork and transfer. At least that worked the best for me. Otherwise your transfer dealer will tack on $ money as that is their profit on the transaction.

The Thunderbeast is a great unit from what I can tell. Someone I know has one and likes it. It is expensive. About twice the cost of the Resonator which is what I purchased. Still do not have. Remember you have a muzzle device to deal with if you go the YHM unit. So for multi units you will need to purchase additional units at around $100 each.

Not sure how the TB unit attaches. Is it a direct thread.

Might want to look at the Griffin GP-7. It is a direct thread and about $450 which is an outstanding deal and a really good unit from what I can tell. That is going to be my next one. I do not think there is anything in that ball park and with that quality other than the Resonator.

I am no expert and that is my take. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with. Merry Christmas.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 30 can is dinosauric so I've been begining to look around. SO far I'm interested in Energetic Arms VOX-S and the Sig SRD cans but its been a while since I've taken a hard look around so Im kind of starting from scratch.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a Thunder Beast 30P-1 that dates from about six and a half years ago. It’s my only suppressor and I use it only occasionally, so I don’t have the experiences of other people, but I’m happy with it. I originally ordered it with metric threading to fit a TRG-22, but later the company offered a conversion that uses either muzzle brakes or flash suppressors that are specific to the barrel threading, and then have a common thread at the front for attaching the suppressor. I.e., now the suppressor can be attached to any barrel thread that the intermediate devices are threaded for. I can use the TBAC on 308 and 6.5 TRGs, 308 and 223 Tikkas, a 223/5.56 Colt 6940, a 308 Seekins SP-10, and a 300 Blackout Thompson/Center Contender.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Wow, you are running the spectrum of 30 caliber cans --econo model to the luxury class.

Thunder Beast Ultra 9--$1,195. 11.9 ounce 9" length, diameter 1.5", titanium. Sound reduction per manufacturer is 132-134 dB using 308
Yankee Hill Resonator-$502. 16.8 ounce, 7.8" length, 1.5" diameter. 17-4 Stainless steel. Sound reduction per manufacturer is 135 dB using 308

You need to determine:
1) Method of attachment (direct thread or QD mount). Each mount will add approx. $75/mount
2) AR 15 direct thread is 1/2 x 28, AR 10 or 300 BO is typically 5/8 x 24

The Best Internet Retail Suppressor Vendors are (in no particular order), Silencer Shop, Capital Armory, E Silencer, Hahnson Brothers, Quiet Riot.
Look at cost, weight and sound suppression. Yes -look at Energetic Armaments Vox S.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Sigforme mimics my comments.

The Resonator has got a lot of very positive reviews based on actual usage. While slightly heavier than that TB. It is shorter so less weight felt hanging further off the end. So to me that is almost a wash.

At half the cost is was a no brainer for me. So I am going to have both the YHM and Griffin unit for the same outlay of cash as I would have with the TB. Both the Griffin and YHM are very good units. While I agree the TB is a cadillac I went with the two quality units with similar, very similar performance specs vs the one unit at the same price point.

I have posted this in the past but feel like it has some great info for someone looking to buy and is not sure where to start.

https://www.silencercentral.co...out-Guns-Article.pdf

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
For 30 cal cans I personally own:

Gemtech Tracker
Dead Air Wolverine
SiCo Saker 762
SiCo Omega 300
Surefire Socom 300 SPS
AAC 762-SD
SiCo Omega9k

A lot of that was me simply trying out new stuff - or buying what was on sale at the time.
If I had it all to do over again, I'd likely not get the AAC or the Saker762.
Reason being - they're both heavy as shit - especially the AAC.
Don't get me wrong - they're both very quality cans - they're just heavy.
The wolverine is also quite heavy - but it's tailor made for an AK (which is what it's on - so it can stay)

Knowing what I know now.. If I was starting fresh and buying a .30cal something for use on an AR platform I'd likely go with either the SiCo Omega 300 or possibly the Q trash panda.
I'd also take a good hard look at OSS due to their flow through design (I have zero real world knowledge of these).

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should look at a 223 dedicated suppressor for the AR’s.
1) most 223 ammo is supersonic, you will NOT achieve “movie” like suppression.
2) 300 Black out was specifically designed for suppression. Subsonic rounds will be really quiet. Same goes for a bolt action 243- direct thread with heavy bullet weights = really quiet.

So, maybe consider 2 cans?

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shinobi
posted Hide Post
I bought a .30 cal can not too awful long ago (trying to forget!) and did a fair bit of research. After talking to a couple shops and buddies it was narrowed down to the silencer co Omega 300.

I went with Capital Armory for my purchase as they are a great shop as well as local.

Posts: 174 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
2) 300 Black out was specifically designed for suppression. Subsonic rounds will be really quiet.

Incorrect. The 300 blackout was designed to:
- Shoot a .30 cal bullet from an M4, with minimal changes other than barrel.
- Have ballistics similar to the 7.62x39 catridge, but from an M4 platform, with standard M4 magazines.

The basics of the cartridge were already worked out via the 300 Whisper and the 300-.221. AAC did minimal tweaking to the cartridge, and then received SAAMI and C.I.P. designation.

It was already known that the 300blk-ish cartridge would produce supersonic loads in most barrels with bullets weighing 110-150 grains, and subsonic loads (using less powder) with bullets 190-220 grains. It was already known that cartridges in a M4 could be suppressed.

Suppressed subsonic 300blk loads are pretty darn quiet. Suppressed supersonic 300blk loads are loud -- pretty much the same loudness as 223 loads, and mainly due to the crack of a supersonic bullet.
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Same goes for a bolt action 243- direct thread with heavy bullet weights = really quiet.

Incorrect. The 243 Win case works with a maximum bullet weight of about 100 grains. With a 24" barrel and factory ammo, the muzzle velocity of a 100 grain load will be 2800-3000 fps. Which means that even with the best suppressors in the world, there will be a supersonic crack of the bullet -- which I believe is at least 130 db, but could be close to 140 db, depending on bullet and load.

The only way to make a 243 quiet is to severely download the powder charge, so that muzzle velocity is below Mach 1.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Your Huckleberry
Picture of Glock Holiday
posted Hide Post
I have a Silencerco Hybrid which is a multi caliber can and I really like it. Just sayin' You're going to be happy with one they will take calibers all the way to .338 Lapua and are full auto rated.

Posts: 335 | Location: Burpleson AFB | Registered: August 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with my silencerco omega.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check Cabelas if you have one local. They are blowing out their inventory.

Or was it Bass Pro?

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

Or was it Bass Pro?

Gander Outdoors had some pretty great deals this Saturday. The guy at the counter before me decided he needed all 8 remaining 7.62 suppressors so I missed out on that deal. Something like a $900 suppressor for $200.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

Or was it Bass Pro?

Gander Outdoors had some pretty great deals this Saturday. The guy at the counter before me decided he needed all 8 remaining 7.62 suppressors so I missed out on that deal. Something like a $900 suppressor for $200.

Wow, that is $1600 in stamps Eek

Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I have one .30 caliber suppressor and it's the Rugged Surge. Has worked great on my 11.5" SBR build and my 8" 300blk pistol build. It has no length restrictions.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1048 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Very happy with me YHM Resonator. Great with my 6.5 cm, 308 bolt gun. Amazing on the 300 blackout subs.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
Well, the Resonators appear to be a hot commodity as I struggled to find one at a place that I was comfortable buying from. Convenience and recommendations won and I ended up buying an Omega 300 at a shop that isn’t overly far from my place. They are a newer shop and I ended up paying a bit more than online but they were good guys and split the difference with me. Now the wait begins.

---------------

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Congrats CE, you always pay a bit more at your shop/dealer vs published prices on line. Your dealer has to make a little money or why bother doing it. They make nothing for doing the transfer paperwork.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I dont think you will be disappointed with the Omega, it was my first can and I still like it Smile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post