SIGforum
Buy or Build First Suppressor?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/6540080274

July 07, 2020, 03:54 PM
SIG4EVA
Buy or Build First Suppressor?
Would it make more sense to purchase my first suppressor or try to do a Form 1? If I buy one, it will be multi cal. The weight doesn't bother me because it's mainly for plinking with my different rifles.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
July 07, 2020, 05:29 PM
George from Alaska
You have too many calibers of varying degrees of pressure to handle all those with one can, no matter what the suppressor manufacturers will advertise. You can buy one like the Griffin Optimus that will cover everything up to 9mm/7.62 but it will never perform as well as dedicated suppressors. Buy something like a Rugged Obsidian that will handle 9mm, you will be impressed at how well it does and then consider others for your other calibers. You can use a good rifle 7.62 can on 5.56 but it won't suppress as well as a dedicated 5.56 can. You can use a .45 ACP pistol suppressor on any smaller pistol caliber but again, it will not work as well as a dedicated can and will often be disappointing.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02
July 07, 2020, 05:56 PM
Edmond
George,

Thank you for that information. I'm in the thinking stages of getting something but not sure what. The multi-caliber capability was interesting but what you said makes sense.

July 07, 2020, 06:34 PM
SIG4EVA
George, thank you for the advice. I do understand it's a compromise. Right now, I was hoping for a suppressor for my 300 blackout pistol, that could also be used on my 5.56 rifles. Do you think that is reasonable?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
July 07, 2020, 06:55 PM
RHINOWSO
Everyone needs 3 suppressors.

Two Centerfire rifle and or pistol calibers
One Rimfire
July 07, 2020, 08:25 PM
Anubismp
You should be able to find a good can that can accommodate 30 cal and 556. I'm taking a hard look at the Silencerco 36m at the moment.

I'd then go for a Pistol can and 22 can.
July 08, 2020, 12:52 AM
David W
I agree with Rhino. I have an SilencerCo Omega .30, Deadair .30 Sandman K and a Dead Air Mask .22 can. I will probably get the new YHM R9 when it comes out later this year.

The appeal to making your own is how quick you can make it vs. waiting on a tax stamp. Anubismp mentioned the Omega 36m, it might be worth taking a look at if you want to try to only buy one can. But, that is almost impossible, once you start using cans you won't want to run your guns without them I promise.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
July 08, 2020, 08:37 AM
myrottiety
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
George, thank you for the advice. I do understand it's a compromise. Right now, I was hoping for a suppressor for my 300 blackout pistol, that could also be used on my 5.56 rifles. Do you think that is reasonable?

Absolutely. I did a .30 cal that I run on my 5.56 all the time. Sounds just as good as major Form 4 cans I've heard out there. I also run it with supers & subs on my 300 Black out.

Go here and do some reading. There are also some vendors in the vendor section that can get you started.

https://form1suppressor.boards...uppressor-discussion

I've done a 30 cal & a .22 can. Pretty easy.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
July 08, 2020, 09:05 AM
SIG4EVA
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

Thank you! I joined that forum last night. It seems like a lot but I am trying to wrap my head around it.

Absolutely. I did a .30 cal that I run on my 5.56 all the time. Sounds just as good as major Form 4 cans I've heard out there. I also run it with supers & subs on my 300 Black out.

Go here and do some reading. There are also some vendors in the vendor section that can get you started.

https://form1suppressor.boards...uppressor-discussion

I've done a 30 cal & a .22 can. Pretty easy.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

July 08, 2020, 10:53 AM
Dwill104
If looking for a one size fits all suppressor, right now I’d look hard at the Griffin Bushwacker 46.
July 08, 2020, 06:22 PM
George from Alaska
Many quality 7.62 suppressors will handle that task. 7.62 Blackout is easy to suppress and is almost magical with subsonic rounds. 5.56 is always going to be noisy but a supressor helps a lot. I have a few suppressors I use on all three: Rugged Surge, Gemtech Quicksand (titanium, no longer made), a Gemtech HTV-QD (heavy steel, sounds great, the Navy used them) , Griffin Optimus and an AAC SR-7. Tjere are some newer ones out there that are nice but you can only make these things so quiet.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02
July 08, 2020, 07:16 PM
Edmond
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

One Rimfire

I think I'm going to start with a .22lr.

Second will probably be a 9mm can.

July 09, 2020, 10:26 AM
colt_saa
quote:
Would it make more sense to purchase my first suppressor or try to do a Form 1? If I buy one, it will be multi cal. The weight doesn't bother me because it's mainly for plinking with my different rifles.
Your signature line only lists handguns, but here you talk about rifles.

If your first suppressor is for a handgun that utilized Browning's tilting barrel design than you are much better off buying one. I say this because of the difficulty in building the LID or Neilson device

If we are talking rifles, then no LID is necessary and doing a Form 1 for your DIY project is not an issue

Mt first can was for a 22LR SMG and I did the Form 1 and built it myself. I have since built other Rifle or SMG suppressors, but I have bought the handgun suppressors.

I see in later posts you address rifle cartridges.

I use my 9MM Trident for 300 Black Out, but I do not have a 5.56 rifle to suppress. The Trident is also surprisingly effective for 22LR, but it is BIG

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com
July 09, 2020, 03:15 PM
SIG4EVA
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Your signature line only lists handguns, but here you talk about rifles.

If your first suppressor is for a handgun that utilized Browning's tilting barrel design than you are much better off buying one. I say this because of the difficulty in building the LID or Neilson device

If we are talking rifles, then no LID is necessary and doing a Form 1 for your DIY project is not an issue

Mt first can was for a 22LR SMG and I did the Form 1 and built it myself. I have since built other Rifle or SMG suppressors, but I have bought the handgun suppressors.

I see in later posts you address rifle cartridges.

I use my 9MM Trident for 300 Black Out, but I do not have a 5.56 rifle to suppress. The Trident is also surprisingly effective for 22LR, but it is BIG

SIG556 is a rifle. I own a 8.5" 300 blackout pistol, 1 14.5" carbine length and 2 16" mid length AR's.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

July 09, 2020, 04:15 PM
myrottiety
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Just FYI: As long as you make sure tube has right thread pitch. You can buy booster.

https://sdtacticalarms.com/pro...ta-products/booster/

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
July 11, 2020, 12:03 PM
redlickranch
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

One Rimfire

I think I'm going to start with a .22lr.

Second will probably be a 9mm can.

I would recommend a Sparrow if looking for a 22 can. I have a YHM Mite and my buddy has the Sparrow. The Sparrow is much quieter than my Mite. Using Same host and same ammo.

I just bought a AAC 7.62 can and like it so far on 5.56. My TC Bolt Gun in 308 that I was planning on using for the AAC does not line up correctly so can't use it.

NRA Life Member

July 13, 2020, 12:08 PM
45 Cal
quote:

One Rimfire

^^^^
This
July 27, 2020, 01:16 AM
gw3971
I'm thinking about building one. Maybe A quietbore 22 kit? 22 is already pretty quiet. I have been told form ones are approved pretty quickly in about a month or two. That is a big plus for me.