SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Complete NFA newbie. A couple of questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete NFA newbie. A couple of questions. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
If I have a rifle, is it legal to remove stock and put a 10” barrel on it? Or must the lower start as a pistol?

If I want to convert a rifle to an SBR, who holds the rifle til the stamp comes to convert it?

Sorry, I have never had any interest in NFA items before, but I think I would like a suppressed SBR and want to know The best way to go about it.

One other question. Can you but an integrally suppresses (permanent) upper and get away with one stamp?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I understand is if it starts as a rifle it stays a rifle. If you put a short barrel and a pistol brace on a new lower, it can go pistol, rifle, pistol...forever. Start with a pistol and keep it while you apply and wait for the tax stamp and then get the lower engraved with the new info.

Posts: 126 | Location: Pflugerville, TX | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
If I have a rifle, is it legal to remove stock and put a 10” barrel on it? Or must the lower start as a pistol? Before a stamp, No. After a stamp, Yes. What was said above about a rifle & pistol is correct.

If I want to convert a rifle to an SBR, who holds the rifle til the stamp comes to convert it? You do, just don't have the shorter barrel in the same house.

One other question. Can you but an integrally suppresses (permanent) upper and get away with one stamp? Yes, not getting away with anything... adds up to 16" is 16" Wink

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I don’t like the idea of paying for a stamp, but I hate the ridiculous wait times. Figure I might as well get started. Now I gotta decide .300 BO or 9mm. If I can get a decent build that takes Glock mags, that’s the ticket.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the one stamp question, the answer is yes only if the length of the barrel/integral suppressor combo is greater than 16” and the overall length of a complete gun is over 26”. The integral suppressor acts like a pinned muzzle device and is counted as part of the barrel. Put it on a rifle lower, and it’s not a SBR, so the only stamp you are paying for is the suppressor.

I don’t think you can have a 5” suppressor permanently attached to a 8” barrel, put it on a rifle lower, and have just one stamp fot it being both a suppressor and a SBR. The only one-stamp allowance that I know of are for machine guns that are also SBRs. I think suppressors have to have their own stamp, especially for ARs where the upper (which has the suppressor) is easily detached from the SBR lower.

I think even MP5SDs are a minimum of two stamp guns.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post