SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Impressions shooting my first suppressed pistol.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impressions shooting my first suppressed pistol....... Login/Join 
posted
I shot my new Silencerco Octane 45 on a H&K 45 the other day. I'd shot a silenced rimfire, a Subgun and a couple rifles with a can but I realized I'd never actually shot a suppressed pistol before.

First at the range where I was required to wear hearing protection I mainly noticed that it spit back a bit. I was glad I was wearing eye protection because I could feel a couple things hitting my face. No a huge thing, I just wasn't really expecting it. It also got the gun real dirty real quick! I'd heard about gas blow back on Rifles I was a little surprised about how much there was on my pistol. The H&K shot GREAT with the can on though. Dead on to point of aim and 1 hole at the shortish range I was trying it at. The H&K tall sights were Perfect!

Next I went outside city limits so I could shoot a few rounds without ears on. It was louder than I thought it would be but quiet enough that my ears weren't ringing like they would have been without the suppressor.

All in all a little louder than dirtier than I'd expected but still fun overall. I'll still look forwards to the next 2 I have coming!

Is this pretty much what everyone else ran into their first time out?

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am beginning to think with the 8 dead air cans on the way, and the 1 form 1 i have in process that i am going to need to make space on the workbench for a quality ultrasonic machine for cleaning.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I am beginning to think with the 8 dead air cans on the way, and the 1 form 1 i have in process that i am going to need to make space on the workbench for a quality ultrasonic machine for cleaning.

Might be my plan too!

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Rimfire needs to be cleaned.
Rifle--cleans itself
Pistol-send some 40 cal down 45 pipe

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Yep. Suppressed pistols are only really cool in movies. I have an Octane 45 and an Obsidian 45, both are great cans (have an HK45 and love it as well) but where they really shine is on pistol caliber rifles. In my case an SBR’d CZ Scorpion. I very rarely shoot suppressed pistols anymore due to the issues you noted.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Yep. Suppressed pistols are only really cool in movies. I have an Octane 45 and an Obsidian 45, both are great cans (have an HK45 and love it as well) but where they really shine is on pistol caliber rifles. In my case an SBR’d CZ Scorpion. I very rarely shoot suppressed pistols anymore due to the issues you noted.

I have a CZ Skorpion. I have the muzzle thread adaptor but isn't there something else I need for the Octane to work on a Blowback pistol?

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I have a CZ Skorpion. I have the muzzle thread adaptor but isn't there something else I need for the Octane to work on a Blowback pistol?

The simple & cost effective way... just need a spacer. But there's also fixed end caps and/or 3-lug as well.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

You’ll need the fixed barrel spacer to replace the spring in the Neilsen Device. Alternately, you can ditch the entire piston assembly and replace it with either a direct thread adapter or a 3-lug adapter, but for the latter you’ll also have to put a 3-lug mount on the end of the barrel.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pour a little water in it then things will really get messy.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I use wire pulling gel in my .45 suppressor. Makes it a little quieter but is messy.

I’m taking a break from nfa stuff for awhile. Suppressor #11 should be here soon.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Before I purchased my suppressors I shot several of my friends. The first thing I concluded was that I would NOT be purchasing one for a handgun. I own a few centerfire cans and one for 22LR. The 22LR suppressor gets used the most.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Same here. Own a few.

Got two for my 9mm pistols. Just not worth it.

The idea was to use them in training, but the thing is: it doesn't fit into a holster, so it's quite pointless.

Now the .22 can on the other side gets used a lot.

The one for the MP5 as well.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I feel the same as a couple of you guys, I never warmed up to cans on anything bigger than .22 on pistols. I do like them on ARs,Scorpions etc. for sure.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I find centerfire pistols underwhelming suppressed.

If I want to have fun shooting suppressed pistol, I'll shoot a 22LR.

My Tirant 45 lives on a Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post