SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Which machine gun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which machine gun? Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
This is partially hypothetical, but if you had the money to sink into an MG (let's call it $40k) what would you get?

I think the obvious choice is an M16, but what I really want is a worn-in Colt Thompson 1921. It's a toy anyway so who cares if it's .45 or 5.56.

Or MP5? 10mm is in my wheelhouse also.

Alternatively, point me in another direction...

"I've got a SOCOM Scout and 20 extra mags, and a couple severed heads in my bugout bag"

Posts: 2112 | Location: Northern CO | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
M16 RDIAS (registered drop-in auto sear). With an auto sear, the sear parts themselves are what are serialized and registered, not the lower receiver.

This means you can configure it with whatever AR upper/lowers you want, in whatever calibers you want. Effectively ending up with multiple different MGs in one.

And unlike some of the MGs out there, parts/gunsmiths are readily available with this route.

Posts: 26158 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What Rogue said.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I got an FNC, it's fun. The M-16 on full auto is difficult to control, the FNC is a peach. I bought two rifles and the sear from the same guy.
I really wanted a Beretta 38a.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4315 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had $40k for just one, I would hunt for a RIA M60 and gradually upgrade it to a E3 or E6 configuration over time.

In that same price range you could get a HK sear/pack and a few non-German hosts.

If you didn’t want to tinker with sears and hosts, a non-Colt M16 and a G3 registered receiver or M14/converted M1A would cover .22LR through .308/7.62NATO.

Posts: 417 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
Really depends on how much you truly want to spend or more importantly, which mg do you really want to play with for the rest of your life?
The Thompson is definitely coolness personified. They are expensive as are the drums and accessories. I have a select fire Bushmaster and put many different uppers on it so that is a plus for the Colt type, and ammunition is plentiful.
If you want a mg but don't want to sink $40,000 into it one can still buy original MAC 10's in 45 or 9mm or the M11 .380 for around $15,000. I have a couple of fa MP5's and they are definitely nice. To get a transferable one in 10mm is going to require that you get either a registered 9mm gun or a registered auto pack and then have someone convert it or make you a 10mm version. The 10mm is hard on the sheet metal frame of an MP5 which was designed around the 9mm round but if you have a registered pack you can move it from host to host.
One of my favorites that I own is a M3A1 Ithaca manufactured Grease Gun with an OSS replica functioning heavy suppressor.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 57 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With $40k I would get a belt fed. Shooting m16’s full auto is pointless and the novelty wears iff pretty fast. I’ve owned three m16’s in my life (sold all for a little profit) but rarely shot them full auto.

Posts: 337 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
This is partially hypothetical, but if you had the money to sink into an MG (let's call it $40k) what would you get?

I think the obvious choice is an M16, but what I really want is a worn-in Colt Thompson 1921. It's a toy anyway so who cares if it's .45 or 5.56.

A VERY small part of a locals collection here in NH...

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5447 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also agree with RogueJSK.

The trouble is the damn things are so expensive it's probably tough to justify enjoying it too much. Values will continue to rise, though.

Posts: 3679 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
A RDIAS for the AR-15 platform is a good idea because you can move the RDIAS to other similar firearms and shoot different calibers. With that said, my choice is a registered Sear for use in the MP5 9mm platform. You can move the trigger pack to other H&K style firearms and shoot it in a 10mm MP5, SP89, H&K 93, H&K 91, etc.

Since feeding machineguns can get expensive, the 9mm Parabellum round is very cost-effective when compared to other calibers.

Good luck in your decision and go for it.

Posts: 713 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want 'a worn-in Colt Thompson 1921' as you say, then get a Colt Thompson! This is not a practical purchase, so get what feels right to you. I have had several MGs and the Thompson is one of my favorites. Parts and accessories are still available and more affordable than for some guns. If you are set on a Colt, that is fine, but at least consider the WWII Thompsons. Not much difference for little more than half the price.

If considering a Colt, get this book:
An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun: (Or How to be an Informed Buyer in a Very Expensive Market) by Tom Davis Jr.

quote:

I think the obvious choice is an M16, [b] but what I really want is a worn-in Colt Thompson 1921. It's a toy anyway so who cares if it's .45 or 5.56.

Posts: 63 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot all of the guns mentioned. I would get a Browning Automatic Rifle. There are somethings about a BAR that I really like. Full size 30-06 power without the hassles of a belt fed. Belt feeds are a lot of fun, but they are also a lot of work. I am not up on current prices, but I think with $40,000 you might be able to get a BAR and maybe a Sten or Uzi or at least a Mac 10.

Posts: 481 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Answers to the following should narrow your choices:

1) How old are you?
2) Do you enjoy laying on the ground and shooting prone?
3) Do you enjoy standing or sitting and shooting heavy recoil shoulder fired weapons?
4) How often do you intend to shoot your new weapon?
5) At what distance will your targets be?
6) How much do you intend to budget for ammo per shooting session?
7) How is your mechanical aptitude?
8) Do you intend to let others shoot your new acquisition?
9) Are any of those small statured women or children?
10) Finally, are you nearsighted?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2032 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I own an FNC and just bought an AR180 as well. I shot several MG's last week, notably my bucket list MP40 (buy list item) and a Thompson. I was not a fan of the Thompson at all. Heavy, awkward and hard to control. The MP40 was smooooooth. I also shot a factory cutaway M3 Grease Gun. It was similar in fire rate to the M50 Reising I used to own.

MP40:

M3 Cutaway

Posts: 2189 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2189 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a Thompson, get a Thompson.
A Cowboy shooter brought his Thompson to a CAS club one day. Complete with motorcycle, the Harley WLA with SMG scabbard.

Me?
Roy Dunlap said everybody in North Africa; Italians, Germans, British, Americans, and Arabs liked the 1938 Beretta. I'd like to see what he was talking about.

Posts: 2893 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Roy Dunlap said everybody in North Africa; Italians, Germans, British, Americans, and Arabs liked the 1938 Beretta.

Not just North Africa either. It was highly regarded and highly sought-after by all sides in the war. (Probably the best WW2 SMG overall, and certainly the best 9mm SMG, although the Finnish M31 Suomi gives it a run for its money in most every regard except weight.)

It saw widespread use by whoever could get their hands on them in the African, Italian, and European fronts.

American:

German:

German:

British:

British:

Posts: 26158 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like FA then the 9mm in a HK MP5 and or MP5SD is the way to go. I have a couple I am going to sell if you are a serious buyer... One of each with a sear pack.

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ken158 are you a Nigerian Prince? If you are not a scammer, you do know that you just tattooed FUCKTARD on your digital forehead.

Posts: 1558 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Things I would want in auto..not in any order...
M2
240B
M1919
M60
Thompson
MP40
AK
Glock18
20mm Oerlikon cannon

I’ve shot a lot of different full auto having served and having friends into FA...

The Thompson is really heavy
The M16 is almost uncontrollable
The BAR is nice
As well is the MP40
But I love a belt fed and the M60 or the 240b would be my choice

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Posts: 7677 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post