SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressor newb questions: .223 reccs please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressor newb questions: .223 reccs please Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Looking for reccs on good .223 standard length barrel suppressors, or a link to a previous thread.

Cheers

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Unless you have absolutely no plans for a .30 cal gun and want a dedicated .22 caliber, I would really look for a .30 caliber suppressor for versatility's sake. Given how expensive a good can can be and the length of time to approve a form 4, getting one can that can work on a variety of centerfire rifles is a wise choice.

Only drawbacks would be A) probably a slightly larger silencer, both weight and length; B) slightly less suppression when shooting .22 caliber rounds through a .30 caliber hole.

Benefits include A) one can for many guns; B) monetary and time savings; C) probably greater internal volume which may reduce back pressure.

I have a SIG SRD762QD and it functions very well on my 5.56 ARs. There is no gas to the face at all, limited first round pop, and very little POI shift.

That said, I don't know how much longer one can get the SRD line, because they were showing a new and improved line of silencers at SHOT this year. Also, the SIG muzzle adapter choices are extremely limited.

If I had to get another rifle can, I'd probably look at a Griffin Armament unit because their muzzle adapter selection is great, and the cans are quality.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Unless you have absolutely no plans for a .30 cal gun and want a dedicated .22 caliber, I would really look for a .30 caliber suppressor for versatility's sake. Given how expensive a good can can be and the length of time to approve a form 4, getting one can that can work on a variety of centerfire rifles is a wise choice.

Only drawbacks would be A) probably a slightly larger silencer, both weight and length; B) slightly less suppression when shooting .22 caliber rounds through a .30 caliber hole.

Benefits include A) one can for many guns; B) monetary and time savings; C) probably greater internal volume which may reduce back pressure.

I have a SIG SRD762QD and it functions very well on my 5.56 ARs. There is no gas to the face at all, limited first round pop, and very little POI shift.

That said, I don't know how much longer one can get the SRD line, because they were showing a new and improved line of silencers at SHOT this year. Also, the SIG muzzle adapter choices are extremely limited.

If I had to get another rifle can, I'd probably look at a Griffin Armament unit because their muzzle adapter selection is great, and the cans are quality.

Wish someone would have given me this advice before getting my 223 can. With it I’m limited to shooting 5.56 or 22. I’m also, one day, going to maybe can a 5.7.

Getting a .30 can will allow going the 7.62 route on down. As it stands, for me, I’ll probably end up using my dedicated 22 can for pistols and my .223 can for my 10/22TD. I just don’t shoot my a/r much.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Both of my rifle cans are 7.62, even though most of my shooting will be 5.56/.223.

I went with the Q Trash Panda as it's somewhat QD with a pretty nice and simple system for on/off, and the whole setup weighs significantly less than most other suppressors. The fat OD and sleeveless design also help performance and shed weight.

That said, I know it has limitations. It's not a can that's well suited for sustained fire, short 556 barrels, or perhaps not as rough-and-tumble rugged as one might want.

So my second rifle can was a Deadair Sandman S. It's got a good reputation for hard use performance, and generally performs well in a lot of internet showdowns. The keymo QD system has a number of solid muzzle device choices for flash hiders, brakes, comps, and combo devices, and is again well regarded for being robust and reliable for mounting and not carbon locking or launching cans downrange.

But man, compared to my Trash Panda that Sandman is a boat anchor.

I'm looking hard at a YHM for my next purchase. The price and performance are great, they come with a dated but good performing QD setup, and they can be swapped to any one of the standard mounting systems by changing out the adapter portion.

The YHM Turbo and Turbo K are 5.56 dedicated, and the K in particular has gotten a lot of attention for it's size/price/performance ratio.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5.56 cans will handle 5.7. In fact, some .22 cans, like the Rugged Oculus, are rated for 5.7.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Great advice... 30 cal it is! Thanks!

Just started getting my NFA trust set up via Heavy D.

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Griffin Armament Optimus Micro. User maintainable and handles .22 rimfire all the way up to 5.56x45!

I don't have one but I do have 2 Griffin suppressors that I really like.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Definitely a good choice to go with a .30 cal can. I, too, wish that someone had given me that advice... although I now have a lot of them.

Trash Panda for a bolt gun (or Thunder Chicken for the quietest), look into something all steel for high rates of sustained fire. I use an Omega 30 (definitely not steel) on a 10" barrel 5.56 without issues but I try not to overdo it. It probably won't last forever anyway.

Also look into a good suppressor cover like those from Burnproof Gear. Taking a can off while it's hot helps prevent carbon lock onto QD mounts, and it's difficult without a good wrap. Standard suppressor covers like those from SilencerCo will melt under high rates of fire... ask me how I know. Big Grin

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig 762qd also. I use it on two 5.56 ARs and one AR in 300BLK...

Definitely get a 30 cal can

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Surefire SOCOM 762 RC2 can. I intend to use it on my SCAR 17 and BCM Reece 5.56. I'm mounting Surefire QD's on both rifles. Just had the Surefire Brake installed this week on the SCAR.

I need to find a good suppressor cover for the SOCOM and also oven mitt or welders glove to remove that can so if anyone has recommendations, I'm interested. Burnproof seems to be a name I hear often as a good cover.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post