SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Hypothetical: How to notify ATF if you want to change barrel length/caliber on SBR lower?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothetical: How to notify ATF if you want to change barrel length/caliber on SBR lower? Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
Hypothetical:
Several uppers, several SBR'd lowers.

I've heard the wisdom to always keep an upper around that meets the requirements on your tax stamp. However, what if you wanted to totally divest yourself of a particular caliber/barrel length?

What's the best way to notify the ATF? Do they send you an updated document? Do they even care?

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Send them a letter outlining the changes if it is in fact a permanent change.

You'll get an acknowledgement in 12-24 months.

Honestly I don't think they give a shit, but the attempt shows good faith IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I got an acknowledgement at 11 months after I mailed it. I sold that upper the day I mailed the letter.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Now I remember that bit of wisdom!

Just mail it to the NFA Branch, huh?

I’m guessing they don’t care either or there would be a more streamlined way to deal with potential changes but I subscribe to the “due diligence” approach when dealing with government.

Thanks!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Here is a copy of an un-SBR letter I sent to BATFE:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Your name and address goes here -

August 2, 2013

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
National Firearms Act Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

Gentlemen:

Sigarms, Inc. rifle model ‘SG 551-2 SP SWAT’ with serial number ‘XXXXX’ has had a muzzle extension permanently attached so that the barrel length is over 16 inches and the overall length of the rifle is over 26.5 inches. Thus the firearm is no longer a short barreled rifle and thus no longer subject to the constraints of the National Firearms Act. Please make a note to this effect in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

- Your signature goes here -

- Your name goes here -

PS: I have enclosed a copy of the current Form 3 for this weapon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above letter was mailed on August 2, 2013. I received a BATFE response letter three weeks letter. It was dated August 19, 2013 and thanked me for notifying them,

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone sent in a change notification to go to a shorter barrel say from an registered SBR in 5.56 with an 11.5" barrel and now I would want to go to a 9" 300 BLK...or that another tax stamp?

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carotxn:
Has anyone sent in a change notification to go to a shorter barrel say from an registered SBR in 5.56 with an 11.5" barrel and now I would want to go to a 9" 300 BLK.
That is fine.

quote:
Originally posted by carotxn:
or that another tax stamp?

No to another stamp. It's already an SBR, it can become whatever caliber / barrel length you want (temporary or permanent).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post