SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Cleaning rimfire suppressors--added Carbon Killer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning rimfire suppressors--added Carbon Killer Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
Cleaned up my Tacsol Axiom after 1000+ rounds. I did pre tx with silicon oil--See Rimfire Suppressor cleaning-the basics for Silicon Oil Tx.

The inner tube did not slide right out--needed some extra pushing with a polymer dowel. A nice coating of burnt powder, lead and grit coated the blast baffle--baffle 2 and 3. Very similar to pictures in Silicon Oil thread. Remainder of the baffles wiped up pretty easy with a paper towel and Slip 2000 cleaner.

Tubes were very clean. Baffles now went into rotary tumbler for 2 hrs. Baffles getting cleaner but a lot of carbon deposit in the cone area.
Carbon Killer solution for 2 hrs-getting better, still some caked on carbon in cone area.
Longer soak in Carbon Killer- 4hrs--dry--tumble.I decided to replace my 2 yr old Carbon Killer which was a dirty brown/orange color. That cleaned up the baffles--dental pick to the collecting area in front of cone--all clean.
Not a lot of effort or elbow grease. Right solvent(Carbon Killer) with stainless steel tumbler.
Probably should have thrown baffles into ultrasonic cleaner after Carbon Killer.

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best solution for non-aluminum suppressor sis a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and peroxide. Use in a well ventilated area. Works great.

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eseaton:
Best solution for non-aluminum suppressor sis a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and peroxide. Use in a well ventilated area. Works great.

doesn't that create some kinda HAZMAT gloop?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. You can add table salt in an attempt to neutralize but not a "safe" or environmentally friendly solution. That being said, it works great. Do a google search on suppressors and the dip.

Posts: 132 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by eseaton:

doesn't that create some kinda HAZMAT gloop?

Yep, and then you're left with figuring out how to dispose of it safely without exposing yourself to lead poisoning.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Sooooo, the dip leaves you with a solution that contains lead, and the other cleaning methods result in a fine dust particulate mixed into a solid medium that I would imagine also needs to be handled as a hazardous material?

Or am I missing something here?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Use the dip and dispose of it. Come on people, it doesn't require a hazmat suit and alarms blaring.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The lead solution that results from using the dip can be converted to a insolvable solid lead salt by the addition of saturated table salt solution or concentrated sulphuric acid. You should still dispose of it at your local landfill or recycle location as a hazmat material, just like you do with solvents and used oil.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P226_operator
posted Hide Post
I got a Sparrow so is there a good way to clean the two sleeves that go over the baffle core? They're starting to have some lead build up. I've tried soaking them in Shooter's Choice lead remover overnight, but it didn't seem like it did much. Maybe I needed to soak them longer perhaps, or do you guys have a better solution? thanks!

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 334 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I use a soda blaster to clean all of my suppressor baffles. I do wear a respirator and properly dispose of the blasting media. It is the fastest way I have found to make them look brand new again.

Posts: 2929 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
I use a soda blaster to clean all of my suppressor baffles. I do wear a respirator and properly dispose of the blasting media. It is the fastest way I have found to make them look brand new again.

Do you use a blasting cabinet? or?

"Modern medicine exists to defeat Darwinism" - Anonymous 18D

Posts: 711 | Location: Land of Scarlet and Gray | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm almost afraid to open my original SiCo Sparrow. It's been about 5 years plus since it was cleaned. Gonna take awhile... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post