SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    First time cleaning Mask baffles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time cleaning Mask baffles Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
I soaked the baffles after roughly 750 rounds for 24 hours in 50/50 vinegar/ peroxide mix and I can't believe how well it worked. I have no idea how well it would work after 2-3k rounds though.

Anyone tried this before?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it works better than just about anything else, but the bi-product is lead acetate. It's highly toxic (and biohazardous waste). Contact with/absorption through the skin can cause lead poisoning.

Posts: 469 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoothrewpoo:
it works better than just about anything else, but the bi-product is lead acetate. It's highly toxic (and biohazardous waste). Contact with/absorption through the skin can cause lead poisoning.

Yep. While it's tempting to do as it's so easy/fast, I've contented myself to using a rotary tumbler full of SS media. I cannot find a location nearby that would accept the lead acetate, nor do I relish the idea of handling it myself.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Well poop, back to the drawing board. I guess an ultra sonic cleaner would be better option.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an ultrasonic cleaner (the big one from Harbor Freight) with Hornady Solution to clean my AAC Element II, and it works ok. I usually run the baffles through several cycles to get the majority of the gunk off. I clean the rest by hand.

don't put the tube in the ultrasonic cleaner... it'll knock the finish off.

Posts: 469 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I soaked the baffles after roughly 750 rounds for 24 hours in 50/50 vinegar/ peroxide mix and I can't believe how well it worked. I have no idea how well it would work after 2-3k rounds though.

Anyone tried this before?

I hope you wore gloves when you pulled the baffles out of the solution. As hoothrewpoo mentioned, lead acetate is no joke.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Well poop, back to the drawing board. I guess an ultra sonic cleaner would be better option.

I pretreat the baffles of my Mask with pure silicon before shooting. When I co to clean after 1K rounds or so I wipe off as much as I can and then use my ultrasonic cleaner. Most of the carbon wipes right off.

Mark

Posts: 349 | Location: MN | Registered: January 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post