SIGforum
First time cleaning Mask baffles

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/5430052224

April 06, 2017, 02:02 AM
David W
First time cleaning Mask baffles
I soaked the baffles after roughly 750 rounds for 24 hours in 50/50 vinegar/ peroxide mix and I can't believe how well it worked. I have no idea how well it would work after 2-3k rounds though.

Anyone tried this before?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
April 06, 2017, 08:11 AM
hoothrewpoo
it works better than just about anything else, but the bi-product is lead acetate. It's highly toxic (and biohazardous waste). Contact with/absorption through the skin can cause lead poisoning.
April 06, 2017, 10:35 AM
SigM4
quote:
Originally posted by hoothrewpoo:
it works better than just about anything else, but the bi-product is lead acetate. It's highly toxic (and biohazardous waste). Contact with/absorption through the skin can cause lead poisoning.

Yep. While it's tempting to do as it's so easy/fast, I've contented myself to using a rotary tumbler full of SS media. I cannot find a location nearby that would accept the lead acetate, nor do I relish the idea of handling it myself.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
April 06, 2017, 01:59 PM
David W
Well poop, back to the drawing board. I guess an ultra sonic cleaner would be better option.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
April 06, 2017, 03:06 PM
hoothrewpoo
I use an ultrasonic cleaner (the big one from Harbor Freight) with Hornady Solution to clean my AAC Element II, and it works ok. I usually run the baffles through several cycles to get the majority of the gunk off. I clean the rest by hand.

don't put the tube in the ultrasonic cleaner... it'll knock the finish off.
April 06, 2017, 08:24 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I soaked the baffles after roughly 750 rounds for 24 hours in 50/50 vinegar/ peroxide mix and I can't believe how well it worked. I have no idea how well it would work after 2-3k rounds though.

Anyone tried this before?

I hope you wore gloves when you pulled the baffles out of the solution. As hoothrewpoo mentioned, lead acetate is no joke.
April 10, 2017, 02:21 PM
mgobel
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Well poop, back to the drawing board. I guess an ultra sonic cleaner would be better option.

I pretreat the baffles of my Mask with pure silicon before shooting. When I co to clean after 1K rounds or so I wipe off as much as I can and then use my ultrasonic cleaner. Most of the carbon wipes right off.

Mark