SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    NFA wait times
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 124
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA wait times Login/Join 
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cntrl23:
I worried about how long that would take after seeing the 1,200lbs from Silencer Shop. Now the real wait begins... Wink

I saw that ad and was happy my check was cashed the day they shipped that. I wonder what that will do to the wait times.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Purchase: Jan 14 2016
Check Cashed: Feb 2 2016
Approved: Jun 29 2016
Stamp In Hand: Jul 18 2016

Form 4 Trust.

Osprey .45

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybird86,

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
Just got an (unexpected) approval on a Form 1 (SBR):

Efiled: 2/12
Approved: 7/20

The emailed notification included the PDF with tax stamp, but it's still watermarked "DRAFT". Will wait for efile website to come online again, and check if I can download a non-draft PDF. Otherwise I'll have to call.

Why unexpected: I applied to SBR a SIG MPX, and had entered only "MPX" in the model field. SIG engraved the pistol "SIG MPX", and there had been reports that ATF denied applications that did not use "SIG MPX" as the model. I guess consistency is way overrated Smile

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E26R-40-BSE:

The emailed notification included the PDF with tax stamp, but it's still watermarked "DRAFT". Will wait for efile website to come online again, and check if I can download a non-draft PDF. Otherwise I'll have to call.

The copy on the website will almost certainly have the watermark as well. At least that's what typically happens. You can use the "Ask the Experts" button on the website and they'll typically get you a clean copy sent out within a day or two.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I just started the process today with the new rules. Time will tell how it goes.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Attended an ATF/FFL seminar this past week and the NFA Spokesman was throwing out numbers when asked how long the expected wait times are. It was mentioned that they have currently 100K mailed in applications and about 35K electronic. He said 6 months but then backpedaled and said it would probably be longer... either way they are slammed

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Too bad we can't get congress to pass a law that puts a time restriction on the ATF as to clearing applications.

These things shouldn't take more than 30 to 60 days at the most, allocate some OT and bring in some atf employees to help push the paperwork bulge through and reduce the burden on current staff as volume changes ie probably reduces now that 41F is in force, they can continue to work on automation of the process.

Not much different than here in FL where they streamlined the CWP process, it was taking months, now you can walk in to a regional office and get renewed the same day.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called ATF yesterday (8/17/16)to ask for an update on a pending suppressor. Was asked and I provided SN#, Trust Name, and Dealer purchased from - Lady was very nice and identified that yesterday was exactly 6 months a 1 day from date of receipt and submission was still pending. She went on to say that the later in 2016 that Form 1 and 4's were filled the completion time will increase. This one was received on February 16, 2016 and she said it should be completed (approved I hope) within the next 30-45 days....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Called ATF yesterday (8/17/16)to ask for an update on a pending suppressor. Was asked and I provided SN#, Trust Name, and Dealer purchased from - Lady was very nice and identified that yesterday was exactly 6 months a 1 day from date of receipt and submission was still pending. She went on to say that the later in 2016 that Form 1 and 4's were filled the completion time will increase. This one was received on February 16, 2016 and she said it should be completed (approved I hope) within the next 30-45 days....

I submitted my trust form 4s on 2/8/16 and I am still waiting. I was hoping it would be any day now but after reading your post I guess it my be up to another month....ugh.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BigD
posted Hide Post
I am waiting on one suppressor with my form 4 submitted at the end of february. Then 2 more suppressors bought mid June.

Question, what exactly does the ATF do on the paperwork for a form 4 for a suppressor?

Just trying to understand what they have to do and why it takes so long.

Thaks

Posts: 76 | Location: South Jordan, UT USA | Registered: September 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

I submitted my trust form 4s on 2/8/16 and I am still waiting. I was hoping it would be any day now but after reading your post I guess it my be up to another month....ugh.

My two Form 4 stamps were filed and checks cashed a little shy of 6 weeks apart, one in mid December and the second in the latter part of January, but the stamps were approved a day apart. I had literally been joking with friends that I was going to get my second suppressor before the first and was almost right. Stamp 1 got to the dealer exactly 6 days before Stamp 2 did, even though they were almost 6 weeks apart between filings and then approved on consecutive days.

Basically, there's almost no way to peg when anything is going to be approved because from my experience at least, they weren't going through them in any particular order.

Your February files are probably getting close, anything after that is probably going to be a while due to the rush of course.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigD:

Thaks

It's not that it takes so long to go through your form, it takes so long to get through all the other forms to get to yours.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by argolfer:
quote:

Thaks

It's not that it takes so long to go through your form, it takes so long to get through all the other forms to get to yours.

3.78 hours per form according to the ATF. Silencershop sent in some 200,000 forms on July 12th. Someone smarter than me can do the math. Not trying to be chicken little, but the volume of pre July 13th submissions was enormous. I'm guessing that it's next summer before some people see their stamps.

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious: 3.78 hours per form according to the ATF. Silencershop sent in some 200,000 forms on July 12th. Someone smarter than me can do the math. Not trying to be chicken little, but the volume of pre July 13th submissions was enormous. I'm guessing that it's next summer before some people see their stamps.

Using the math we use to bid contracts:

1 Full Time Equivalent employee (FTE) = 160 hrs/month x 12 months = 1920 hours/year.

3.78 hours/form x 200,000 forms (just from SilencerShop) = 756,000 man hours of work required.

756,000 divided by 1920 hours = 394 employees required just to process SilencerShop's 200,000 forms in a year.

That said, I doubt the ATF has 394 employees working on processing the forms. And I know there's a few more forms to process on top of SilencerShop's forms (mine being one of them). Being a world-class procrastinator I submitted my Form 1 on July 10th, so I'm going to set my earliest expectations for Christmas 2018. But 2019 might be more realistic.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
quote:
Originally posted by argolfer:
quote:

Thaks

3.78 hours per form according to the ATF. Silencershop sent in some 200,000 forms on July 12th. Someone smarter than me can do the math. Not trying to be chicken little, but the volume of pre July 13th submissions was enormous. I'm guessing that it's next summer before some people see their stamps.
It was $2,000,000 in tax stamp money which is 10,000 forms.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
There really isn't any reason that a person that has already had passed the NFA background check can't be issued a card, like a CCW.

Many here have already got stamps and yet every time we have to be "checked" again and again.

The fact that they don't "bundle" pending stamps is just stupid and a waste of tax dollars.

Personally I wouldn't care if you had 1 stamp (in a time line) before mine and 5 more after mine ... if they would approve all 6 at once it would move those people behind yours up in the time line and eventually shorten the overall time line back to 30-60 days.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kandersn
posted Hide Post
Form 1 New Frontier C-9 SBR efiled on March 6th, received the stamp pdf on Aug 19th.

Got the ATF email on my phone while I was shooting the New England Regionals IDPA match in Mass. I just thought it was funny to receive a tax stamp for an AR style SBR while I was in Mass. (I live in NH).

If I wasn't so tired after 14 stages, I would have danced a happy dance.

Kevin

Posts: 281 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
There really isn't any reason that a person that has already had passed the NFA background check can't be issued a card, like a CCW.

Hell, there's no reason supressors and short barrels couldn't just use NICS.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

I agree, once you have cleared then you should be able to reapply without all the hoopla, just like having a CCP one call and it's done.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Preaching to the choir bro ...

Sometimes I wonder if SBR's SBS's and Suppressors got added to NFA just so that division would have enough to do ... with those taken out, all that would be left is machine guns and Destructive Devices, it could get pretty quiet in that office!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post