SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Legal requirements when destroying a suppressor—?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal requirements when destroying a suppressor—? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I have researched the ATF NFA Handbook but I cannot find the guidance on how to request removal of a suppressor from the registry after it is destroyed. Any help?

(This is for information about this specific question only. No need to tell me all the other things that could be done with a suppressor rather than destroying it.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Accordingly, to remove a silencer from the NFA, every baffle, wipe, and other component must be melted, crushed or otherwise destroyed. ATF advises in the National Firearms Act Handbook, ATF e-Publication 5320.8. section 2.5.1 (available on ATF’s website at www.atf.gov) that a silencer may be destroyed by completely severing each component by means of a cutting torch that has a tip of sufficient size to displace at least one-quarter inch of material at each cut location. Outer tubes of a silencer may be destroyed by crushing them flat in lieu of cutting with a torch.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I found and read that section that explains what must be done to destroy a suppressor, but have not been able to determine what needs to be done to have the suppressor removed from the national registry after it’s destroyed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is some guidance (lower part of article). https://www.ficarettalegal.com...tional-firearms-act/

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OregonXD:
Here is some guidance ....

Yes, that answered my question. Thank you.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Not something I have ever had to deal with, but I would expect the BATFE guys will want to see the actual parts and pieces to verify destruction. Suggest you contact the nearest BATFE office, set up a plan to get everything done to their satisfaction, maybe turn over the destroyed suppressor in exchange for a receipt acknowledging the voluntary surrender of a registered piece.

At the speed of bureaucracy you might expect a minimum of several months before the registration records are updated to reflect the new reality. In the meantime having a receipt for the turn-in should be enough to deflect any inquiries.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
No plans at present, and other ways of disposing of it if it comes to that would probably be better for a few reasons, but would like to have options.

6.4/93.6

— Plato