SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Looking for anyone who has a trust in a state that is not their state of residence.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for anyone who has a trust in a state that is not their state of residence. Login/Join 
Picture of dusty3030
posted
Looking into setting up a NFA trust in a state that was my former state of residence that I still own and use the farm / home. The farm is in Arkansas. I moved right across the river (literally) into Tennessee. My and my wife's drivers license and concealed license are now Tennessee. I am self employed and my business is a LLC in Tennessee as well.

This isn't real common and I want to make sure this lawyer isn't leading me down an illegal path. I would like to keep and use the suppressors I intend to buy at my farm in Arkansas. The lawyer says I can set up the NFA trust using the farm in Arkansas and I can purchase the suppressors from an Arkansas FFL/SOT even though I am a TN resident.

Does this sound kosher or should I back away from this avenue. Even though I am a member of a great range in Memphis I never hardly shoot there. 99% of my shooting is at my farm in Arkansas.

Straight shootin!
dusty

Posts: 2891 | Location: Memphis, mf'n, TN | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Can't do what he suggests! You have to be a resident of said state to purchase any NFA items. The good news is you don't need to submit a 5320.20 for suppressors to transport them. But you do for SBRs, machine guns, and AoWs...

Posts: 881 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
Can't do what he suggests! You have to be a resident of said state to purchase any NFA items. The good news is you don't need to submit a 5320.20 for suppressors to transport them. But you do for SBRs, machine guns, and AoWs...

Not quite sure that's the case. I think I remember a situation not too long ago where Dean helped out a guy who lived in CA but also had property/a home in MT.

OP I'd get ahold of Heavy D and ask some advice, heck I'd even let him set up the trust for you.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you own property in a different state then where you normally reside you can get a trust in that state. I did it.

Posts: 104 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post