SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Should have just called the ATF

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Should have just called the ATF Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a Griffin Reece 7 on January 31, 2016 from a bigger local gun shop. We will call them Phil's for the sake of this story.

I stopped in one day in early September (8 months) and asked if there was any chance that they had been sitting on any suppressors due to inability to contact the owner. No chance, I was told.

First week of November I stopped in again and asked the same question to a different employee. No chance, I was told. I pushed back and asked him to check. No chance, I was told.

Today, almost 11 months later, I called the ATF and after about 60 seconds on the phone I was told that it had been approved August 3rd.

For anyone who doesn't know (304) 616-4500. All you need is your name and serial number. They don't even treat you like you're irritating them by calling.

I'd like to comment a hell of a lot more, but unfortunately I'm not done dealing with them yet.

Posts: 271 | Registered: September 10, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Dam’! Eek

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36660 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
So that FFL has been sitting on your stamp for the last 4 months +? I would go apeshit.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: October 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be the last time I spent my money in that shop. That's bullshit. I would look that over really well. Probably using it for their own use.

Posts: 269 | Location: Central Nebraska | Registered: April 28, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The most frustrating thing for me at this point is knowing that the answer was only a 60 second phone call away for the last 4 months. I could have made that call at any time. I missed out on months of shooting and this year's hunting season.

The dismissive attitude of their sales staff has ensured that I'll never go there again. This was not just the failure of a single salesman.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That would be infuriating, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard of or experienced such attitudes. I doubt that anyone there was using it in the interim; it’s just arrogant laziness.

As I think about your experience, I seem to recall reading that once the stamp is issued the suppressor is then registered to you and immediately becomes your property and responsibility. The dealer is therefore obligated to physically transfer to you as soon as practicable because it’s no longer registered to him. I don’t know if it would be worth your time or the extra aggravation involved, but if you determine that I’m correct in my understanding, I would be tempted to file a complaint with the ATF. I would not use that as a threat unless the dealer doesn’t hand it over immediately, but after I had the suppressor in hand I might very well do that.

Failure to surrender someone else’s property upon demand may also be a crime under state statute, and although the local police would probably blow it off as being a “civil” matter, if the ATF got involved I would imagine that that would be the last such incident at that store.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36660 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
British by birth,
American by Choice
Picture of Longbow_06
posted Hide Post
So, did the store have your stamp to ??
Did they give you your stamp ?

I will NOT Sit Down !

"There are many who vehemently argue something CAN'T be done.
They should stay out of the way of folks who are doing it."

Posts: 2875 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
So, did the store have your stamp to ??
Did they give you your stamp ?

They had the stamp the entire time. I finally got the Reece 7 and the Octane 45 that I ordered through them. I ordered them 4 months apart and got them 2 weeks apart.

There was little in the way of apology or explanation and they didn't even attempt to make it right.

Maybe if all of the fucking customers would quit bothering them, they could finally figure out who has the most tactical shoelaces.

Bill's Gun Shop will never see another dime from me again. There are too many quality shops in town.

recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
If they have a yelp or Google review it might be worth it to leave a non angry fair review of what happemed. As a fellow nfa owner I would totally be appreciative of I knew this about a shop before I spent 1000 dollars there.

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 991 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you finally got all this worked out.

However, a note to everyone else - the ATF will not *always* provide that information. There is a box on the F4 that the dealer must check to allow them to provide that information to anyone other than the dealer.

All my transfers have always gone through the same shop, and he always checks that box.

YMMV.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15624 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Bill's Gun shop in Minneapolis? If so, that's one more reason for me to not buy anything there. I'm in WI but they have a store in Hudson with cans in stock. It's nice to see them on the shelf (that's why I bought my YHM Phantom from F-Bomb in St. Croix Falls) but the couple of times I've asked about them the "help" was anything but. They didn't know jack shit.

It was funny because even as recent as a couple of weeks ago, I asked about a couple which he didn't know about but did offer up they could help me form my trust. He was surprised to learn that the trust no longer offers any advantage for making the purchase easier.

I was half tempted to pay their premium price for a P320 ($100 more than if I have it shipped from ThunderJohn at Southwest arms in Savage) just for the instant gratification. Glad I didn't.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12372 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:

($100 more than if I have it shipped from ThunderJohn at Southwest arms in Savage)

ThunderJohn is the best in the twin cities as far as I'm concerned. Great prices, great guy. Never any overnight inflation during the panics.

Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zingo:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:

($100 more than if I have it shipped from ThunderJohn at Southwest arms in Savage)

ThunderJohn is the best in the twin cities as far as I'm concerned. Great prices, great guy. Never any overnight inflation during the panics.

Try Moe Hardware in Black River Falls. I picked up a pair of 320 compacts with night sights from them for $1100 OTD last year.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15624 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post