SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Pre-Treating Rimfire Suppressors for a fast clean?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-Treating Rimfire Suppressors for a fast clean? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have any experience with whether pre-treating a dedicated rim fire suppressor with something like fireclean or DOT 5 brake fluid makes it easier to clean? Is there a positive return on the time to pre-treat and re-treat to get a fast clean vs. not pre-treating?

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've done the pre-treat with silicone oil on my rimfire cans and it seems to work okay. Not 100% magical, nor is it the super-easy cleanup as seen online, but it's better than not treating at all.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I've done the silicone oil/DOT 5 treatment with pretty decent success. It's not a wonder treatment, but it does cut down on the amount of time you have to spend cleaning them, which can be significant. The key is to start with a squeaky clean can/baffles.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As stated above, the silicone treatment does help. Gemtech suggests soaking baffles overnight in a 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid as a cleaning method. Don't bother is doesn't work.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I pretreat my cans when new with the silicone oil.

After about 1000 rounds I will wipe the baffles down and hit them with some brake cleaner.
I use slip's carbon cleaner to soak the baffles then finish cleaning before I treat again with silicone oil.

It works for me. I might get a media blaster next to try cleaning.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Some good info from Rimfire R&D here --> http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What nhracecraft posted with a little anti seize on threads and tube.
I shot enough rimfire that the lead residue made a weld to the tube --so I always loosen the threads at the range. Fire gloves or log gloves are part of my kit.
Monocores need to be loosened- YHM Mite or Liberty Regulator. Baffles within a tube in a tube do well with silicon oil-Axiom, YHM Stinger, Mask, Rugar.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Also treated the bolt assembly for an AR with silicone. Cleaned up easily the first use, have not shot it since.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pretreated my rimfire suppressors with silicone. Didn't see as much of an impact on cleaning as throwing it (disassembled) into the tumbler.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Link above doesn't seem to work. Can someone outline the process for the silicone treatment? Thx.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
Link above doesn't seem to work. Can someone outline the process for the silicone treatment? Thx.

Check out this conversation over on Rim Fire Central: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...?t=592390&highlight=

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most of the info at the (now) defunk'd link outlined the author's trial and error process to come up with a cleaning solution.

It boils down to this:

• Start with either a new suppressor or a squeaky clean one; although I don't advocate the dip method of cleaning, in this case it might benefit to do that (carefully and responsibly) to achieve best results.
  • Either way you take your baffles/sleeves/tubes or anything else that might accumulate build up and clean them in mineral spirits first.
  • After these are thoroughly dry you heat the parts in a warm oven (believe it was 200*).
  • After sitting in the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes, you pull them and immediately put them into a glass jar of either DOT 5 brake fluid or pure silicone oil.
  • Once cooled you remove and drain off the excess and reassemble.

The result is that the inside has a very thin film of the oil left inside that captures the lead and powder build up and makes removing it much easier at cleaning time. The silicone oil tested to be the least susceptible to burn-off or blow out when shooting.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggested brand/source for the silicone oil?

Thanks.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Link is gone.
Essentially pre treat "new" baffles and tubes with
1) wash with mineral spirits
2) heat 225 for 10-15 min
3) soak in pure silicon oil until cool
4) dry for 24-48 hrs
5) reassemble

To clean dirty baffles - tumble in rock tumbler with stainless steel media- overnight to remove all carbon and debris. ONLY TUMBLE STAINLESS STEEL BAFFLES. DO NOT TUMBLE TUBES.

This is easiest way to clean/treat Rim fire suppressors.

Tumbler from Harbor Freight. Media from Amazon. Pure Silicon Oil from Amazon.
Frank

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Thank you fellas. Do we have any consensus on Anti Seize? Copper/Nickel/Graphite....?

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Standard automobile anti seize . Its a fairly large container - 10 oz or more with built in brush. I put antiseize on all barrel threads, any threaded parts of the tube. Aluminum mono cores get a thin coat on surfaces that contact the tube.

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
instead of mineral spirits, can I just clean using acetone? This is a brand new Mask.

Posted from my iPhone.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
instead of mineral spirits, can I just clean using acetone? This is a brand new Mask.

Not sure. Don't know that it'd make a difference but I don't have first hand experience so I can't say.

Complacency sucks…

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

Not sure. Don't know that it'd make a difference but I don't have first hand experience so I can't say.

Thread drift while my Mask Baffles are soaking in Dot 5 (purple dot 5 apparently, lol, hope thats not a mistake). Anyways, I know you are a big rimfire can fan....have you had a chance to shoot a Ruger Silent_SR?

My first experience with rimfire cans was the Sparrow. Then I got the Ruger Silent SR....holy cow. Sounds awesome. Deep tone to it, hardly any noticeable FRP. I also just now got this Mask. I can't wait to compare them side by side. To my knowledge, I haven't seen anyone not he inter webs compare these two together.

Posted from my iPhone.