SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Anyone suppress and FN Five-Seven?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone suppress and FN Five-Seven? Login/Join 
Picture of inspcalahan
posted
If so, what are your thoughts and what aftermarket barrel do you recommend?

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a 5.7 at the same time as my aac pilot. (not rated for 5.7) At the time Elite ammo was providing threaded barrels and subsonic ammo. There was some discussion (2008/09) about the efficacy of suppressing the pistol vs the PS90.

People preferred suppressing the ps90 over the pistol. Suppressing the pistol did help mitigate the fireball during low light shooting. There were some extraction issues when suppressed with the pistol. This is all from memory, so take it with a grain of salt. I am betting the extraction issues were due to back pressure. The other big issue at the time was that no 22lr cal can was rated for the cartridge. Folks were using their 223/556 cans. There might be some now, but I think most of the ones i have seen are only rated 5.7 for the rifle, not the 5" pistol.

OSS just released a new 22 caliber 5.7 rated flow baffle can. It is for 8" barrels though. Other than that i would bet you would need to go to 223 cans.
https://osssuppressors.com/suppressors/rimfire/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A number of the newer .22 cans are rated for 5.7 with no barrel length restrictions.

Rugged Oculus
Griffin Optimus Micro
Dead Air Mask

To name just a few.

Given that it’s made of stainless steel and titanium, and full auto rated, I’d be very surprised if the OSS RAD 22 isn’t rated for the FiveSeven pistol too.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Isn't the sparrow rated for 5.7 as well (down to the pistol length)? They have been around for sometime now from silencerco.

I also looked into this about 7 years ago or so when I had a five seven. Just decided it wasn't worth the cost of admission between a new barrel, extra 22lr can to take it, and not much of a great end result on it (always underwhelmed with most suppressed pistols anyway besides 22). On a ps90 that's been cut down, that'd be a different story then. A buddy did that to his and it's a blast to shoot.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
Isn't the sparrow rated for 5.7 as well (down to the pistol length)? They have been around for sometime now from silencerco.
The 'new' sparrow is, the 'original' (longer one) isn't.

SilencerCo Sparrow 22 Caliber rating --> .17 HMR | .22 LR | .22 MAG | 5.7x28 FN

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 25birdman
posted Hide Post
I did and I didn’t care for it. I wasn’t using subsonic ammo. My setup was a EFK fire dragon barrel, which was nice and SilencerCo Spectre II.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."---George Orwell

Posts: 569 | Location: TX | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 25birdman:
I did and I didn’t care for it. I wasn’t using subsonic ammo. My setup was a EFK fire dragon barrel, which was nice and SilencerCo Spectre II.

I was considering this exact setup... what didn’t you like about it?

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 25birdman
posted Hide Post
It just wasnt very quiet to me. I took a couple of shots without ear pro and didn't like it. I think a can with a little more volume would have been a quieter combo....or it probably would have been great with subsonic ammo, but subs were just a little to expensive for what I wanted to spend.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."---George Orwell

Posts: 569 | Location: TX | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
Gotcha... thanks for the info.

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post