SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    How many tax stamps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many tax stamps Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
If I want a SBR that's full-auto capability do I need a tax stamp for the weapon and a second tax stamp for the suppressor?

Does it make a difference if the weapon was purchased with the suppressor already affixed to it as opposed to buying the weapon and then adding a suppressor?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Is the suppressor permanently attached?
If yes, what is the overall length with the suppressor?
If no, then you need a stamp for the SBR and a stamp for the suppressor.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Machine gun trumps SBR. If you have a tax stamp for a machine gun, you don’t need a second stamp if it’s also a SBR. I believe you’ll need a second stamp for the suppressor regardless of the length or whether it’s integral or not. I believe that MP5SDs are two stamp guns.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yes. Machine gun stamp trumps sbr. Even if you weld the suppressor on an upper you will need a stamp for that. We only have two suppressed rifles right now. So two stamps for suppressors and 10 machine guns. So we need 8 more suppressors. Lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Machine gun trumps SBR. If you have a tax stamp for a machine gun, you don’t need a second stamp if it’s also a SBR.
Unless of course you are using an HK RDIAS, then the rifle becomes an SBR when you remove the RDIAS / Trigger pack (which can be the registered "Machine Gun"), so you would also need a SBR stamp to shoot it with a semi auto trigger pack / sear installed.

As with most things, it's a very tangled web depending on the type of full auto weapon being discussed. HK especially so.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Machine gun trumps SBR. If you have a tax stamp for a machine gun, you don’t need a second stamp if it’s also a SBR.
Unless of course you are using an HK RDIAS, then the rifle becomes an SBR when you remove the RDIAS / Trigger pack (which can be the registered "Machine Gun"), so you would also need a SBR stamp to shoot it with a semi auto trigger pack / sear installed.

As with most things, it's a very tangled web depending on the type of full auto weapon being discussed. HK especially so.

The suppressor for my Omega MP5SD pistol, threads on and off so if I add my a real suppressor, thats one stamp, if I add my registered sear, thats another stamp.
I didn't get a letter but called the BATFE about my Omega MP5K and MP5SD clones and using my Registered Sear.
I was told that since I bought them both as pistols, when I remove the sear pack I can return them to pistol configuration, however if I wanted to reassemble them with a stock, without the registered sear, they would need to be registered as SBR's. Since these I dont shoot without the sear I saved my $400 for stamps.

My other HK clones (MP5, HK52(7.62x39)& HK53(223) clones) even tho they started out as pistols, I SBR'd just because I occasionally shoot them in semi and like to leave the stocks on them for that reason.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is an MP5SD necessarily two stamps? Certainly, if it were just a host for a sear pack, the sear pack would have its own stamp, but if the thing were remanufactured in one fell swoop, wouldn't it be a single stamp?

I honestly don't know, and I have one on my list of things to buy. An extra stamp is pocket change in that instance, but it's double the pain in the ass.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as the host is not assembled as a rifle with a short barrel, it doesn't need a stamp. You take the registered auto sear out of the host and leave the stock on and it's an SBR. Take the sear out and put an arm brace on and it's a pistol.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
Is an MP5SD necessarily two stamps? Certainly, if it were just a host for a sear pack, the sear pack would have its own stamp, but if the thing were remanufactured in one fell swoop, wouldn't it be a single stamp?

I honestly don't know, and I have one on my list of things to buy. An extra stamp is pocket change in that instance, but it's double the pain in the ass.

Originally posted by DaBigBR:
As long as the host is not assembled as a rifle with a short barrel, it doesn't need a stamp. You take the registered auto sear out of the host and leave the stock on and it's an SBR. Take the sear out and put an arm brace on and it's a pistol.

DaBigBR is correct, about the pistol/rifle thing, but the suppressor still requires a stamp unless you are going to use one of the fake suppressors. If its permanently attached and 16 or over, then just 1 stamp. And I think thats what you're asking?

I've got an Omega MP5SD that I bought as a barreled receiver, it didn't come with mags, a trigger pack or frame.

As you know, you have to remove the stock to remove the sear, I really don't have any interest in shooting it as a pistol so when I want to move the sear to one of my other hosts I just put the pistol endcap on to keep the carrier from falling out. I did SBR my MP5, HK52 & 53 clones but the SD & MP5K, well, they're all more fun with the sear so the SD & K I put the $400 towards ammo Wink

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post