SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Econo Can Adapter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Econo Can Adapter Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Just saw this on an older video of Hickock45 and a few other videos, its a Class 3 NFA approved "silencer" but it's a take on the solvent adapter, just one company decided to take it and register it as a legal silencer.

For $75 plus the fee you can have a silencer for much less than the big boy silencers.

Pretty darn smart, taking an idea and creating a business model out of it for a legal registered silencer it darn sure works.

Just think of the sales this guy will get at that price point if silencers are removed from the ATF/NFA list...

Link to Econo-Can

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 10034 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Problem is the oil filters shoot out pretty quick and each new oil filter needs to be engraved. Unless you can do your own, that's going to add up quickly to the overall cost...

Posts: 855 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
True but my bet is most that need replacements will simply pull off the engraved oil can and plink through replacements keeping the original can for the odd chance an ATF agent walks onto their property to inspect or validate a SN, or maybe they get an engraver and DIY a new filter.

Not sure why you'd need to return it to be engraved, since you don't have to send back
a normal suppressor to the manuf to be engraved if parts are replaced. Maybe it's a way to make more money. I would have though the suppressor part is the adapter, and that should be the SN part.

Otherwise you're paying $200 to register a oil filter not the adapter and filter..

Either way, I'd say you'd have to really work to wear out a 22 "can" LOL

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 10034 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Any Tom, Dick, or Harry with a lathe that knows how to use it for threading can make these.

If the HPA passes I'd wager they'll be very popular while the market availability settles on major brands.

Posts: 5299 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, end user cannot replace filters. You are then "manufacturing". That's why you send it back to them. Not worth it.

Posts: 923 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The adaptor itself is the engraved and serialized part. The oil filters can be replaced at will. That's what makes it a good idea.

Edit:

Apparently not 100% true anymore, or at least with the one I found. Here's an excerpt:

The Econo Can Suppressor comes as a complete unit with the oil filter attached, serial numbered and registered with ATF/NFA.

If or when you need to change the filter out, the ATF/NFA rules says it needs to come back to the original manufacture, which Cadiz Gun Works is. The cost is $25.00. The complete Econo-Can Suppressor can be shipped directly to us, for gunsmithing, which would be replacement/rehab/repair of the oil filter, with the serial # remarked, and documented as being replaced/rehabbed/repaired. The completed Econo Can Suppressor can be sent back to you at your address on your NFA Tax Stamp Form. You do not need to go though a dealer for gunsmithing services. The life of the oil filter varies depending on caliber used and bullet type. (ex. AR15=300-500 rds)

Posts: 1812 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post