SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Budget suppressed bolt action 22?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Budget suppressed bolt action 22? Login/Join 
posted
Hey, I'm looking to put together a bolt action .22lr with a suppressor and maybe a 4x scope to deal with some voles that have been ticking me off.

I'm thinking bolt action 22 because my current belief is that would be the quietest option, please school me if I'm wrong. I was thinking that with some Colibri would do the trick without scaring the crap out of my neighbors.

I was originally thinking a Ruger American Rimfire, what do you all think? Trying to keep the budget as low as possible for this.

Thanks!

Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Savage Mark II FV SR. Very happy with mine. I think I paid $240 for it. Not sure how that compares to the Ruger.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

President Theodore Roosevelt

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
-- George Washington

Posts: 2279 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend the Savage MKII FV-SR. With just the rifle and Super Colibri it is very quiet. When adding a suppressor I use CCI Quiet, and that is quieter yet. Definitely quieter than a semi auto, since there's no action noise. With this setup, and the right ammo, it's nearly just the sound of the firing pin striking the .22 round and the impact of the bullet. I purchased mine from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore a couple of summers ago for around $225. I looked on their website and they currently have it for about $235, and Savage is running a $30 rebate through the end of June (like to it is also on their page.) It is definitely my quietest suppressed setup!

Savage MKII FV-SR

FV-SR YouTube Review

Posts: 133 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Report This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find that shooting sub-sonic ammo with a suppressor negates the need to shoot Colibri.

As for rifles, I think the RAR (Ruger American rifle) would be a great choice for the budget minded shooter.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3800 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: April 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good tips!

Do you think shooting super colibri from an unsuppressed semi-auto rifle or handgun would be loud enough for close neighbors to notice?

I also wonder if that'd be fun to use for target shooting in the garage.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Good tips!

Do you think shooting super colibri from an unsuppressed semi-auto rifle or handgun would be loud enough for close neighbors to notice?

I'm not sure about the volume, but loaded with super colibri ammunition, your semiauto won't be semiauto anymore (it won't cycle).

Posts: 3728 | Location: TX | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Good tips!

I'm not sure about the volume, but loaded with super colibri ammunition, your semiauto won't be semiauto anymore (it won't cycle).

Oh yeah I figured as much.

posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger American Rifle .22 (#8334).
It feeds from the excellent Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine.

tp

Posts: 837 | Location: Back in Texas... | Registered: February 09, 2003Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Savage but ended up with the Ruger American Rimfire with threaded barrel because I had a bunch of 10/22 magazines already.

It's nice and quiet and using a $20 scope has held zero even when beat up by my 10 yr old.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 4954 | Location: South of Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A .22 with subs is just going to make a coyote angry. That's if you are even able to hit the thing past 40ish yards.

To your original questions, any of the .22 rifles mentioned so far will hold their own. I opted for a CZ 455 with a SiCo Warlock II. I have a Zeiss 3-10 on it and all together it's a nice light weight set up.

Posts: 1968 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you shoot the lower velocity Colibris in a rifle, be SURE every one clears the barrel.

I've had to push a few out with a rod.

Posts: 8503 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, the Ruger 8334 rifle. Mine is paired with a SiCo Sparrow and Leupold VX-2 Rimfire 3-9x33mm EFR, the combination of the three is outstanding.

Posts: 896 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I see there is a compact Ruger rimfire that has both irons and a threaded barrel. Might be worth a look too.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 24305 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the Ruger American

Posts: 303 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Report This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I see there is a compact Ruger rimfire that has both irons and a threaded barrel. Might be worth a look too.

This is what I have. I paid NOVA prices, but it still was only I think 325 OTD.

It with a Silencerco Sparrow, you can hear the firing pin hit the round, and the round hitting the backstop.

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 999 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Report This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another option to keep in mind is the new Ruger American Rimfire Target model: http://ruger.com/products/amer...reTarget/models.html

Posts: 1958 | Registered: January 15, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You will enjoy the Ruger American Rimfire suppressed. It is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, plinking away without needed hearing protection. Out of the box, it is a great little rifle. Add a rimfire scope on it and you enter another realm of fun. I have not had any issues with it.

"Animis Opibusque Parati"

Posts: 961 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Report This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
You can't lose with either the Savage MkII FVSR or the Ruger American. Know however, that the plastic stocks on either are pretty crappy and flex terribly. I haven't shot my American much because of this. I did replace the stock on my Savage.

If I were to do it again, I'd get the Ruger American Target with the laminated stock and be done with it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26466 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Report This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I love my Savage FV SR, but dang that Ruger American Rimfire Target is a pretty little gun. I may have to pick one of those up.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

President Theodore Roosevelt

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
-- George Washington

Posts: 2279 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Report This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of mine. It's a Ruger American Compact Rimfire Rifle (8306), Leupold VX-II 3-9X40mm duplex reticle, and a Gemtech Outback-II suppressor.

You have to kind of listen for it because I was sharing a "pocket Berm" with other shooters. When you hear it by itself you hear the hammer drop and then the round impact. The impact sound is louder to me.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Mj0ti7c7wMc

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 9955 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Report This Post