SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    22lr can question/ suppressor question. Updated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22lr can question/ suppressor question. Updated Login/Join 
posted
My 22lr can is not able to be cleaned. It does not reqlly suppress squat anymore. It is an old aac pilot. Years aho i remember reading of a required steps to dispose of it. Does anyone here know the process and the paperwork required to file with the atf?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have heard of folks jailbreaking cans to be able to clean them, contact AAC and see what they say. Some other can companies do custom work if you wanted to clean it.

I have no idea about how to destroy one, just thought I would add restoration to your listWink

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I contacted aac and yhm. They had 0 interest to do it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Industrial size ultrasonic might clean it out...

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike748:
Industrial size ultrasonic might clean it out...

I thought of that, hqve tried regular ultrasonic cleaners, heated ones at that. I have tried chipping it out. Solvents, break free agents, nothing hqs made a dent. The thing is dead.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Liberty Suppressor will open and replace with a monocore.
May be a wait list...
They do good work.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
A little poking around on the Google and it looks like Gemtech will (or at least has at some point) disassemble it and put in removable baffles for $250.

Also saw a reference to Liberty in another forum.

I'd contact a few other companies and see if you can get the can serviced before you junk it.

Edit:
Here's a thread with photos and explanations to DIY jailbreak the AAC Pilot
http://www.silencertalk.com/fo...933478835b826a8a77c8

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Have you tried "the dip" method?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Have you tried "the dip" method?

"The Dip" eats aluminum. And the chemical reaction with lead is real bad for you.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Can forget gemtech... they're a debunked company now !

These guys were jail breaking a lot of stuff before... http://www.stalkingrhino.com

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appriciate the efforts guys. However, the can is toast. As in not feesible for any refurb, a few bad baffle strikes and a keyhole or 10. I am simply looking for the way to classify it destroyed for the atf. I plan on replqcing it soon.

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Easy way is to cut it up into 3 pieces and ask ATF to remove from the registry...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
Easy way is to cut it up into 3 pieces and ask ATF to remove from the registry...

This is what i was getting at. I read a step by step process of it once, but for the life of me could not find it on the atf web sight. AAC wants nothing to do with the can. There is a visible crack in the sleeve. So, it's toast as they say. It has many thousands of rounds through it. I just want to get it properly done, and move on to a new can.

Do you happen to know where to find the process on the atf website, I have a call in, but have not recieved a phone call back as of yet.

posted Hide Post
Finally, while i did not recieve a response to my phone calls, emqils and voice mails. My local gunstore my daughter works at did.

quote:
Per our phone conversation regarding a destroyed/damaged beyond repair silencer, here’s how to notify the NFA Division:

· Write a letter with the details about how the item got damaged beyond repair:

o The silencer needs to be fully identified: make/model/serial number/cal

o Include the date of the damage/destruction and, again, details about what happened

o It would helpful to include a copy of the owner’s Form 4 for reference

o Pictures of the damaged item are helpful as well

o Make sure that the letter is signed

· If the owner of the silencer is a trust, the letter needs to be from the trust.

· The owner should list a way to be contacted in case NFA Branch needs more info.

· Once NFA gets this letter, they will update the registry to show that the item has been destroyed.

· Mail everything to (it’s probably a good idea to send this certified mail or by some other means that will make it possible to confirm that ATF got this stuff):

ATF NFA Branch

244 Needy Road

Martinsburg, WV 25401

If you or the owner has questions, you can call me at the numbers listed below

Stephan

The information contained in this email is not legal advice. Legal advice must be obtained from an attorney who is licensed to practice law.

Stephan Horvath

Regulatory Investigator – Industry Operations

United States Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

Washington Field Division

Richmond, Virginia

804 200 4141 main line

0 4 1 5 3 interoffice

posted Hide Post
Sad day, Time to move on though.

Wrapping up the letter to the atf about it's demise. Ity weighed just over 2lbs when i put it on the scale. It was well used and loved. Just not salvagable.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just a note... your old stamp is still worth something. Stamp collectors pay good money for them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Just a note... your old stamp is still worth something. Stamp collectors pay good money for them.

I had not thought of that, i still have it.