SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    SRD9 Stuck Muzzle Cap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRD9 Stuck Muzzle Cap Login/Join 
posted
After sitting days in Hoppes and time in the UC, the front cap remains stuck on. And the Sig tool for its removal gets no purchase on the cap. Suggestions?

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you backed the rear off?

Most of the time I loosen one end 1/4 of a turn, then loosen the other. I repeat till one can turn freely. Then i take it all apart.

Is the front cap damaged?

Now if the front cap is sealed on, rocksett, loctite. you have a couple of ways you can go about it.

If rocksett, soak in water for 2 days, then try to undo the front cap.

Loctite, ad some heat. Get one of the butane torches for cooking. evenly at heat around the rim while the can is secure in a vise. VOX makes a can clamp. Once the end cap is heated, and the rear cap is off. Use your tool to loosen the front cap. It is slow constant pressure. Rapid movements won't break it. SLOWLY apply tension to the tool hold it, then inclease ever so slowly, hold, increase, hold. till you break it free.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I don't have any advice here. But reminds me of when a buddy of mine monkey fisted my 30 cal taper mount can on.

I had to put the suppressor in a vice and turn the rifle to get it out. Roll Eyes

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I never thought of Hoppe’s as a penetrating solvent. If the other suggested methods don’t work, I would try immersion soaking in Kroil. (I don’t, BTW, have any idea what “UC” refers to.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meant Ultrasonic. Phone spell checker. I believe I’m going to have to drill two holes for a pin spammer and just get a new cap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
Meant Ultrasonic. Phone spell checker. I believe I’m going to have to drill two holes for a pin spammer and just get a new cap.

Before you to that use heat.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Front cap should not have thread locker on it.
Penetrating oil would be best to soak front end cap--Kroil.
Make sure you are going in the right direction to loosen.
A strap wrench might get some purchase on the front cap.
When all else fails--> back to Sig
Learned that lesson early on with Rimfire cans.
Anti seize is your friend.
https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-co...1924-01-REV00_LR.pdf

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stick it in the freezer for an hour or so. (maybe a ziplock baggie if wife objects).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After penetrating oil, sea foam, came apart with some effort. Baffles were loose and free. I still feel the Sig front cap tool is a POS but for now I'm good. I use nickel anti seize on all my cans (this one was new and had factory lube). I shouldn't have problems again.