SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Go-to engravers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go-to engravers? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Who's good for engraving receivers for a Form 1?

Would using a local engraver be viable?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
absolutely.
I had all mine done by a local guy here in the raleigh area.
his normal business is making trophies - but does NFA engraving if you ask.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Orion in the past. Are you close to Allegheny Gun Works? They do it.

I had a local trophy guy do it, he did meet the minimum depth but he couldn't get the letters as small as I wanted. After that, I spent the extra $20 and sent it to Orion.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
absolutely.
Hopefully he has an FFL. Most trophy shops don't, and therefore can't legally engrave firearms.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
This guy is fantastic. http://www.ncengravers.com/

Literally text me videos of the engraving being done. Same day turn around. He had done engraving on a form 1 suppressor for me as well as anodizing titanium.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Veritas Machining has 3 receivers of mine as we speak.

They do runs every Monday. Basically, if you have your receiver to them by Thursday, you'll make it into the Monday run.

This is my first try with them, but they so far they have been great. When they received my receivers, they sent me an email just to let me know they had arrived. When calling them about their turn around time, they were very polite and helpful.

I'll post a follow up next week when I get them back. so far the experience has been first class.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: esdunbar,

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for identmarking...... great service!!!

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Laserworkz in Pottstown has done several for me they have an FFL
do great work at a great price. There turn around time is usually the same or next day

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
absolutely.
Hopefully he has an FFL. Most trophy shops don't, and therefore can't legally engrave firearms.

As long as the item being engraved is still with you,,,,,i.e. you wait while it is being engraved, then they are fine to do it. Only an issue if you leave your firearm for engraving, and return later.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZYALTR:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
absolutely.

As long as the item being engraved is still with you,,,,,i.e. you wait while it is being engraved, then they are fine to do it. Only an issue if you leave your firearm for engraving, and return later.
Sorry, but that is 100% incorrect. As we've discussed here before:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...690034624#7690034624

Here it is again:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...r-repairing-firearms
Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

Now, there is an exception to the record keeping requirement, in that the licensee does not need to enter the firearm in the Acquisition & Disposition record, if the customer waits, but they must still be licensed to do the gunsmithing (and that includes engraving), if it's done as a business.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...pair-acquisition-and
Does a gunsmith need to enter every firearm received for adjustment or repair into an acquisition and disposition (A&D) record?

If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired, or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the A&D record as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the A&D record.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We also do NFA engraving....

alleghenyarms.com/nfa-engraving/

Posts: 64 | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lots of good choices out there. I prefer someone who caters to the gun market (rather than the local jeweler)...

I have used this company, three times...always fast shipping and perfect work.

http://www.orion-arms.com

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Ident marking

http://identmarking.com/

This

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Veritas Machining has 3 receivers of mine as we speak.

They do runs every Monday. Basically, if you have your receiver to them by Thursday, you'll make it into the Monday run.

This is my first try with them, but they so far they have been great. When they received my receivers, they sent me an email just to let me know they had arrived. When calling them about their turn around time, they were very polite and helpful.

I'll post a follow up next week when I get them back. so far the experience has been first class.

+1 For Veritas, Phill engraved 2 receivers for me while I waited, top notch work!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schlafftablett:
We also do NFA engraving....

alleghenyarms.com/nfa-engraving/

Why couldn't you be on this end of the state? Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on over for a Pirates/Stillers/Penns game and we can get you fixed up!

Posts: 64 | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
FYI, I got my stuff back from Varitas last week.

I'm very happy with their work and will certainly use them again. About 1 week door to door.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post