SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Taking baby steps towards suppressing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking baby steps towards suppressing Login/Join 
Picture of NMDave
posted
Okay... when I gave my P220 a face lift, I got the threaded barrel thinking it would make a sweet suppressed weapon down the road. Did some research and got a trust package from $99 Dean. Now I am getting closer to diving in. I am finding that there is a secret language used by suppressor folks. Can someone offer a newbie a translation cheat sheet? SBR... CAN... SEF... SRD... ???

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on starting your journey. Not sure what you are asking though? Are you asking how to buy a suppressor, or what some the the acronyms you listed mean? If the latter:

SBR = Short Barrel Rifle
CAN? Not sure what context you are seeing this in. People sometimes call a suppressor a “can” (the word) because of their shape, but I haven’t seen it used as an acronym in NFA.
SEF = Usually refers to a type of lower on HK roller lock guns like the MP5. The SEF is the marking on the lower for the safe-fire-auto positions.
SRD - no idea

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Yeah... you guessed right. As I research information I run into acronyms that I am not familiar with making it difficult for me to fully understand what is being said.

Thanks for the quick response... can... makes sense now

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
SRD is likely referring to the Sig line of suppressors. They have model names/numbers that all start with SRDxxx.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of us, one of us....

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like you jumped in, just need the toys.
E mail for a more in depth discussion.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Well it’s been about 2 years now since thinking it would be cool, about a year since the first threaded barrel, and just did the trust last month. So yeah, definitely ready for the toys... which I understand could easily take a year from purchasing to taking home.

Dave

posted Hide Post
Trusts are good if you want multiple people to use the can, without you. Each person, however, is background checked by ATF. It's been taking about 16 months in the shop where I work. An individual stamp has been taking around 6 months, sometimes less.

Several years ago the regs concerning suppressors changed. Back then, the chief LEO of your county (sheriff) had to approve your getting a stamp, unless you had a trust. That changed, now he/she is simply informed of your application.

Many places will prepare the paperwork for you if you purchase your suppressor thru them, as mine does.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
Okay... when I gave my P220 a face lift, I got the threaded barrel thinking it would make a sweet suppressed weapon down the road. Did some research and got a trust package from $99 Dean. Now I am getting closer to diving in. I am finding that there is a secret language used by suppressor folks. Can someone offer a newbie a translation cheat sheet? SBR... CAN... SEF... SRD... ???

As mentioned SEF is a HK thing. There is a bit of glare on the E and F selector marking in the photo . . . . sorry

S = Sicher: Literal translation is 'Safe'
E= Einzelfeuer: Literal translation is 'single fire' or semi auto
F= Feuerstoß: Literal translation is 'burst of fire' or full auto

Us American guys just call them

S= Safe
E= Economical
F= Fun

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
AH HA Makes sense once someone spells it out for me. Bad ass MG (did I use that right?)

A really like the American take.

Dave

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
AH HA Makes sense once someone spells it out for me. Bad ass MG (did I use that right?)

A really like the American take.

It is actually a sub-Machine Gun because it fires a pistol cartridge.

That carbine can put 30 rounds of 357SIG on target is ~2 seconds Big Grin

Machine Guns fire rifle cartridges.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Way cool

Dave