SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    30 CAL. suppressor advice sought.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 CAL. suppressor advice sought. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I finally had the opportunity to see some and talk with a knowledgeable sales person.

I had mentioned Thunderbeast in an earlier thread but think that is out. To expensive I am pretty sure.
I am primarily looking for one for bolt guns. The guy was most knowledgeable with Silencerco since that is what they sell the most of. Looked at the Omega system and the Harvester.

I am leaning toward having my barrels threaded and just screwing the can on with their nut, hence the harvester. But even it was more $ than I was hoping.

Asked about others. We talked about the Griffen GP7

How about the YHM Resonator?

And the Aluminum Gemtech Tracker. Prices were better.

I do not plan to shoot a bunch at one setting. Not planning to use this unit on an AR either. It could be carried in the field used for hunting purposes possibly. I am not looking for the cheapest unit. But a nice balance between cost and quality. I cannot afford the best. So with budget being a big factor what are your guy's thoughts?

Please give me some thoughts. Am I on track or should I be doing something else.

Thanks guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19092 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give black aces some consideration. Yes it is a bit heavy. Bost of the parts are from mcmaster car. It has good sound suppression. It is direct thread.

https://www.blackacestactical....30-po-boy-suppressor

Are you good with tools? If so. Do a form 1, build it yourself. My foem 1s took 18 days for sbr and 12 for my can.

Far faster than form 4. For the price of any of the ones you listed you can build a ti tube, griffen taper mount, 3 stainless blazt baffles, 5 ti baffles. And have enough left over for a few more taper mounts.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Go to Capitol Armory website. You can look at 30 caliber specific cans. Compare prices, materials.
See if your shop is in the same price range. Do the same at Hahnson Brothers- they will have a dozen 30 cal cans to compare.
My eye is on Energetic Armament’s Vox can for the price.
Look and compare.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an Omega and love it.

Regardless of manufacturer, because of your hunting focus, spring for the lightest can you can find. Nothing like lugging around a 2 pound can to make you hate life!

With that said, I wouldn’t commit to only a hunting can. You might just find that you want to suppress everything and a little versatility would be wise; accepts QD mounts, full auto rated, etc

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Primarily hunting. But I hear you Sjames. Unfortunately I really need to be less than a $750 budget including the stamp. Cannot go $1k or more. $750 is a big stretch. I really need to be at $550ish for the can.

Lightweight is a big factor. Looking at Griffin and Gemtech primarily. Maybe YHM. Anyone else in a light weight $500ish suppressor that is a solid company I should be considering. The SilencerCo harvester is interesting but about $150 over budget.

posted Hide Post
I have the YHM resonator. I really like it. It’s quiet and light weight. I think YHM’s quick disconnect mount is the best QD mount around. YHM is a good company with great customer service. You can call them and actually speak with someone who knows their product. Best of all, you should be able to stay within your stated budget!

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drobinson
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for my Form 4 on my resonator. I bought it mainly based on price and the review done by Dakota arms https://www.dakotasilencer.com...out-Guns-Article.pdf. Resonator beat out most other suppressors regardless of price. Cons: wish it were dt don’t want qd device on my Tikka looks silly.

Posts: 563 | Location: SC | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for first hand info on the YHM Resonator. What was the cost for everything less the NFA fee?

Thanks for the link to the article.

How do you guys feel about the weight on the YHM?

posted Hide Post
You should be able to get one for $500 or less, likely less. The listed weight is 16oz. Take a look at Silencer Shop’s web site. You can check prices and compare specifications of many different makes and models.

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drobinson
posted Hide Post
It was $439 + $24.95 (single shot trust) + $205 for tax stamp. I used silencershop and a dealer with a kiosk. I also realized that when you select your dealer on silencershop website the prices can change as dealers set the price you can see. The dealer I used for one suppressor was $100+ more for the yhm. Select several different dealers as your preferred dealer on silencershop website and look for the best price. Dealers get paid directly from silencershop so there are no extra transfer costs or taxes.

Posts: 563 | Location: SC | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
That is a great price drobinson. do not think I could touch that these days here. Probably closer to $550. I will confirm next week. The Griffin GP7 and the Gemtech Tracker are also on my mind. The Sig is also something I need to look more into. They have a direct thread in the $500 range also.

posted Hide Post
Take a look at item number 803904737 on Gunbroker. They show a buy now price of $412.99. Seems like they have a store front in Arlington TX. If they would do the transfer for you that is a good price.
FYI, I have NO connection with them and I haven’t done business with them.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the Resonator is definitely in contention if not the leader. The downside is the mount is need to use on different rifles at about $75 a pop. I guess I could move it (the mount) from rifle to rifle as well? Thoughts?

Thanks for all the great info guys.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys, the Resonator is definitely in contention if not the leader. The downside is the mount is need to use on different rifles at about $75 a pop. I guess I could move it (the mount) from rifle to rifle as well? Thoughts?

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Generally, people don’t move mounts around between rifles due to the work involved in removing and retorquing the mounts. More work if the muzzle device need to be timed, so add shims into the calculation.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drobinson
posted Hide Post
Yhm 4302 QD flashhider 30 cal is $58.62 at gunsmidwest.com

Resonator comes packaged with one muzzle device From silencershop it comes standard with a 4302 qd 30 cal brake.

Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
You will have plenty of time to save up money to buy the extra mounts. Current wait time seems to be 10+ months.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys. Primarily hunting. But I hear you Sjames. Unfortunately I really need to be less than a $750 budget including the stamp. Cannot go $1k or more. $750 is a big stretch. I really need to be at $550ish for the can.

Lightweight is a big factor. Looking at Griffin and Gemtech primarily. Maybe YHM. Anyone else in a light weight $500ish suppressor that is a solid company I should be considering. The SilencerCo harvester is interesting but about $150 over budget.

My recommendation: Go with a Form 1 can. I think I'm in around $250 for all the components for my suppressor. Titanium tube & end caps. x2 SS Baffles followed by x5 Titanium baffles. It's around 18oz in total weight.

So suppressor and stamp all together puts me at around $550 total cost.

Go sign up and do some reading. http://form1suppressor.boards....uppressor-discussion

I've run mine pretty hard on my 10.5" SBR. Its light weight, tough, AND cost effective.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Not in the cards Myrott, but appreciate the suggestion.

Griffin, YHM and Gemtech all seem to be in the running. Who else?

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
AAC Jaeger 30

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'd add in consideration:

I know you are looking at light weight. But if possible I'd look at steel, titanium, or inconel construction. With the Stamp/$200 Tax, I'd consider this a life time purchase/investment.

If I had to chose. I'd sacrifice a few ounces for durability. A few ounces extra in the pack for a ruck, would be worth it knowing the can will last a lifetime + my kids lifetime.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post