SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    do they ever test noise reduction on numerous devices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do they ever test noise reduction on numerous devices? Login/Join 
posted
I am picturing a baseball diamond with a bench at the pitchers mound and db meters at the four bases.

some kinda fire arm and a remote trigger device.

then eventually they compile the data and compare
brands and models.

or are all the devices so close in reduction numbers that its not worth the hassle?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I believe they typically test at "muzzle" & at "shooters ear" which it typically like 2 feet away.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the short answer is no.

The long answer is yes. but it is pointless. The sound reduction is at the rifle. after 15yds to 200yds, the crack of a supper sonic bullet is the same decible range.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
The sound reduction is at the rifle. after 15yds to 200yds, the crack of a supper sonic bullet is the same decible range.

Exactly.
I first learned of this in a Rifles Only course in Colorado. We were using a suppressed 338LM on plates at 1200, 1400, and 1760 yards. We couldn't see hits at 1760, so a couple of us drove the ATV out to the 1400 yard berm, then ducked behind it. Shots for the 1760 target sailed over us, maybe 100 yards to one side.

It was easy to determine which loads were supersonic at 1400, because they were LOUD. Hearing pro was necessary for the sonic boom going over us. Subsonic bullets made more of a hiss going by. The crack of the suppressed rifle at that distance was really quite minimal.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
The sound reduction is at the rifle. after 15yds to 200yds, the crack of a supper sonic bullet is the same decible range.

Exactly.
I first learned of this in a Rifles Only course in Colorado. We were using a suppressed 338LM on plates at 1200, 1400, and 1760 yards. We couldn't see hits at 1760, so a couple of us drove the ATV out to the 1400 yard berm, then ducked behind it. Shots for the 1760 target sailed over us, maybe 100 yards to one side.

It was easy to determine which loads were supersonic at 1400, because they were LOUD. Hearing pro was necessary for the sonic boom going over us. Subsonic bullets made more of a hiss going by. The crack of the suppressed rifle at that distance was really quite minimal.

We all had to work the pits at infantry AIT on the 500yd line (yes, the Army infantry also all shoots at 500m, not just a Jarhead thang...we just don't make a big deal about it Wink .)

The 5.56 supersonic snaps didn't require HP, but were definitely a lot louder than the un-suppressed reports from the line.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks folks, I am glad I asked .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bendable...

It is worth the hassle especially with subsonic projectiles...

Under about 1100 fps the projectile is not generating a sonic boom...

So think heavy 9mm or 45 for better results...

Letting the bolt close on an empty chamber can make more noise than firing the gun...

What they don't mention in the video is that unlike the muzzle blast that gives your firing position, a sonic boom generated by a passing bullet is non directional and not easily traced back to it's point of origin...

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post