SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Best way to buy an MPX-K with suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to buy an MPX-K with suppressor Login/Join 
posted
I'm considering the Sig MPX-K w/suppressor. I own .22 and .308 suppressors, so would need a new one for this set up.

If I understand the process correctly, I'd need two stamps. One for the SBR and a separate one for the suppressor. Am I correct that I could buy it as a pistol with brace and take it home while waiting 6-12 months for ATF? When the stamps come in, I pick up the suppressor and stock and finish it up.

Also, I have a HEAVYD trust for my other two suppressors. Is it better to buy the new items on a separate "one time" trust or amend the trust to take my wife off during processing and then put her back on once the SBR is added?

Beyond the legal issues, does anyone have this set up? Comments??

Thanks

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you can, buy it as a "pistol" (with or without a brace whichever is the better deal), then Form 1 the lower on a Trust and when it comes back approved, you convert it to "SBR" with the addition of a stock yourself.

Suppressor would likely be a Form 4, either via a local FFL/SOT or an out of state one with partners (Silencer Shop, etc).

Concerning Trusts, I have 2 but haven't done the 'single shot'. So over to HeavyD and the lawyers to chime in.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Although the government shutdown is surely putting a damper on things, my Form 1 for the MPX came back in just about 4 months. The Form 4s I put in over a month before the MPX aren't back, so definitely get a pistol and Form 1 it, because you'll probably be able to shoot the SBR long before the silencer stamp comes in.

If you have a brace for the pistol, then you'll get to shoot it the whole time you wait.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Go to Heavy D website. He has an amendment to your Trust which removes your wife from the Trust. See his website for a complete explanation.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually went and held the little beast at the store this morning. Much lighter and more compact than expected. I think the "brace" is perfectly functional as a stock, so not sure I'd SBR it unless ATF changes their mind about shouldering a brace.

The biggest disappointment was the trigger. As I understand it, the FCU is different than a standard AR, so you are kind of stuck with gritty.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
The biggest disappointment was the trigger. As I understand it, the FCU is different than a standard AR, so you are kind of stuck with gritty.

Not anymore. There are aftermarket triggers now available for the MPX; I use a dedicated Timney 2-stage in mine. SIG uses that trigger's sibling single-stage in their newish MPX PCC rifle. Any AR trigger could be used short-term, but the key for it surviving over the long haul is whether the complete trigger assembly has some sort of guard or deflection bridge to keep the back side of the hammer from slamming down on the disconnector and ultimately breaking the part once a certain number of live fire rounds is reached.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Thanks. I looked that up and YIKES! Another $200 on an already expensive gun.

I guess the next question becomes "How useful is the MPX?" It's not going to launch bullets any faster than a pistol and isn't going to be as accurate as a carbine. It's cool as heck, but is it worth $2,000 (gun, mags, trigger, brace)?