SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Velocity gain from a supressor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity gain from a supressor? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am curious to know if any of y'all have chronographed your loads suppressed and unsuppressed.

I have a 7.5" 5.56 upper and a SiCo Omega 30 cal supressor.
What kind of velocity gains should I see with the supressor attached?

The question came to mind because I know how anemic the 5.56 becomes when shot out of really short barrels. I wonder if I gain much pop for SD use if the supressor is attached when firing supersonic rounds.

What sayeth the congregation?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
So minute that it isn't going to make a big enough difference...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-affecting-velocity/

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The only testing I’ve done using a 5.56 SBR with and without a suppressor was with Lake City M193 from a 11.5 inch barrel. Without the suppressor the average velocity was 2752 fps; with it was 2786 fps. That 30+ fps increase is far less than the loss of velocity by going to the 11.5" from 16 inches (3039 fps).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In practical terms for rifle muzzle velocity, think of a suppressor as adding 1/2" to 1" in barrel length -- a lot depends on the can, rifle, and ammo.

For precision rifles this means point of impact will shift a little higher at really long targets. Of course the weight of the can might shift a 100 yard zero down slightly.

For SD use, you won't see any practical difference in MV or bullet performance.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Interesting. With how "overgassed" some guns are supposed to get, with suppression, I figured more gas would be pushing the bullet faster.

The more you know...

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Interesting. With how "overgassed" some guns are supposed to get, with suppression, I figured more gas would be pushing the bullet faster.

The more you know...

Bruce

I believe they are referring to overgassing the recoil system. I dont think it adds much to the velocity of the bullet as the bullet passes the gas port before the excess gas does.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have said the results are negligible. For me, across several different host/suppressor combinations, you are looking at 20 fps, max. In some, there is no appreciable difference at all.

Posts: 27 | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post