SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Velocity gain from a supressor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity gain from a supressor? Login/Join 
posted
Hey all-

I am curious to know if any of y'all have chronographed your loads suppressed and unsuppressed.

I have a 7.5" 5.56 upper and a SiCo Omega 30 cal supressor.
What kind of velocity gains should I see with the supressor attached?

The question came to mind because I know how anemic the 5.56 becomes when shot out of really short barrels. I wonder if I gain much pop for SD use if the supressor is attached when firing supersonic rounds.

What sayeth the congregation?

Bruce

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 2832 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
So minute that it isn't going to make a big enough difference...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-affecting-velocity/

Posts: 1068 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The only testing I’ve done using a 5.56 SBR with and without a suppressor was with Lake City M193 from a 11.5 inch barrel. Without the suppressor the average velocity was 2752 fps; with it was 2786 fps. That 30+ fps increase is far less than the loss of velocity by going to the 11.5" from 16 inches (3039 fps).

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 38659 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In practical terms for rifle muzzle velocity, think of a suppressor as adding 1/2" to 1" in barrel length -- a lot depends on the can, rifle, and ammo.

For precision rifles this means point of impact will shift a little higher at really long targets. Of course the weight of the can might shift a 100 yard zero down slightly.

For SD use, you won't see any practical difference in MV or bullet performance.

Posts: 5568 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. With how "overgassed" some guns are supposed to get, with suppression, I figured more gas would be pushing the bullet faster.

The more you know...

Bruce

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 2832 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Interesting. With how "overgassed" some guns are supposed to get, with suppression, I figured more gas would be pushing the bullet faster.

The more you know...

Bruce

I believe they are referring to overgassing the recoil system. I dont think it adds much to the velocity of the bullet as the bullet passes the gas port before the excess gas does.

Posts: 7217 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have said the results are negligible. For me, across several different host/suppressor combinations, you are looking at 20 fps, max. In some, there is no appreciable difference at all.

Posts: 22 | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post