SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Silencerco Trifecta or ASR mount?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Silencerco Trifecta or ASR mount? Login/Join 
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted
I am looking for opinions from those who have experience with both. Currently, I have all my muzzle devices and Saker cans using the Trifecta mount.

However, I have had one can launch, and numerous "stuck" cans that took a mighty heave with a wrench to remove. I am about fed-up with this. The last time I took my Saker-K off of my Tavor, I broke the Trifecta "ratcheting" part.

I contacted Silencerco and they will either send me another base, or I can send in the base and my muzzle devices and they will send me ASR mounts and muzzle devices.

From what I gather, the Trifecta positives are there is no wobble when properly attached and minimal point of impact shift. The downsides are the aforementioned risk of can launch and/or being "stuck" to the muzzle device.

The design of the ASR prevents muzzle launch of the can, but the can *may* not lock-on as solid and/or have more wobble. However, I cannot find any definitive information on this.

If anyone can share their experience or recommendation on which way to go, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

i8mtm

Posts: 358 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Report This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
ASR mounts lock on tight and have never experienced any wobble with them. Trifecta's are great when space is a concern. But realize that you have to keep the muzzle device and the mount clean. A couple drops of oil on the engagement points and your good...

Posts: 948 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Report This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Ditch the Silencerco mounts altogether and use the Dead Air Key Mo. Its the bees knees!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 4236 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Ditch the Silencerco mounts altogether and use the Dead Air Key Mo. Its the bees knees!

If I had the extra money this is what I would do.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 2700 | Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Report This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know that problem...

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 4236 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
No QD mount w/conical taper interface is immune from getting stuck. If you crank it down tight while hot, get it nice and dirty, and then leave it on for a few weeks, it's going to be very difficult to remove when cool and corroded.

I have two Sakers and two ASR mount cans (Specwar 762 and Hybrid). I have had one Saker mount get stuck once when I left it on tight for several months and after several range trips. If I had removed it when still warm it probably would have been fine.

I just had my Hybrid with ASR mount get stuck to my Sig MPX. I had shot it several times, cranked it down tight, and left it attached while dirty for a few weeks. I had to get the wrenches out to get it off due to the carbon/corrosion buildup and contraction while cold.

Both of my .22LR direct thread cans were also stuck due to hundreds of rounds without removing or cleaning them and all the lead that had built up.

So pretty much anything can get stuck depending on how you treat it. I do think the Saker is a bit more susceptible to getting stuck upon cool down compared with the ASR due to the larger surface contact area. So just bring an old cotton rag with you to the range and loosen the can up while still warm. It's worked fine for me for years and I think that small extra step is worth it considering how well the Sakers perform otherwise in terms of repeatable and minimal POI shift.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 2162 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the feedback.

Brett B - Can you give me an idea of the POI shift you have experienced with the Trifecta mounts vs. the ASR?

I agree that any mount can get stuck. However, I have never left my cans on past the range session as the rifle will not fit in the case with the can on. I do let it cool, but I have experienced a "stuck" can fairly often (stuck meaning I had to take a wrench and a firm pull to get it off).

With the Tavor X95 it is *really* bad - stuck can almost every time. Then the muzzle device unscrews from the barrel (despite using rocksett!) I have never gotten the can that stuck on my Scar 16. I have a theory that the Tavor puts more carbon and crap out because the gas is tapped so close to the chamber and with a non-adjustable gas system (unlike the Scar) it is just not that good as a suppressed host.

Thanks for any additional info you can provide regarding POI shift on the Trifecta vs. ASR mounts.

Cheers,

-i8mtm

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Saker 762 POI shift on the SCAR 17S 13" barrel is 1 MOA.
Saker 556 POI shift on the SCAR 16S 16" barrel is 1 MOA.
Saker 556 POI shift on the SCAR 16S 10" barrel is less than 0.5 MOA. It wears an Aimpoint Pro so it's essentially immeasurable at the distances I shoot that rifle.

Specwar 762 was about a 1.5-2.0 MOA POI shift on the SCAR 17S 16” barrel, and a 3.5-4.0 MOA POI shift on the SCAR 17S 13” barrel.

The problem was that the Specwar was not nearly as repeatable for total POI shift and direction of that shift. With the Saker I ratchet on the can anytime I like, dial my known 1 MOA shift, and the first round hits where expected. If I removed and reinstalled the Specwar it always seemed to take a few shots to get things dialed in as it wasn't nearly as repeatable.

Obviously this is a sample size of 1, but I have tested this over several range trips and for me at least the Sakers performed better in this regard. I use my 17S for hog hunting and I don't keep the can attached all the time. So I really value knowing my first shot will go where I want it to when I attach the can.

Plenty of people run the Omega with the ASR mount with great success, and I recommend the Omega to friends too as I think it's a great can. So maybe my particular ASR mounts with the Specwar 762 are just poor performers where POI shift is concerned.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 2162 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
Brett B - Thank-you, this is the kind of first-hand information I was looking for!

-i8mtm