SIGforum
Dead Air mask-time for a cleaning

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/3740036864

April 07, 2020, 09:16 PM
SIGfourme
Dead Air mask-time for a cleaning
It was a beautiful day at the range. I took my M&P pistol. Broke the M&P in with a box of 500. The Mask probably had a good 4 or 500 thru it already. M&P was really dirty--lot of carbon all over. Cleaned up quickly with Bore Tech.
Figured it was time to clean the Mask. I had pre treated with silicon oil--the carbon wiped off the outer tubes of the baffles. Quick dunk in Carbon Killer -->lifted the carbon off the underside of the baffle. Lot of lead still inside the cone area. Tumbled in steel pins for 4 hours--cleaned up a lot . Will tumble again tomorrow. Overall-very pleased with the clean up process.
April 07, 2020, 09:52 PM
swage
I soaked my Mask baffles in Boretech for two days and then wiped the baffles down with rags and some
Q tips. I heard from Boretech that they are coming out with a product specifically for suppressors.
April 07, 2020, 10:06 PM
SigM4
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I heard from Boretech that they are coming out with a product specifically for suppressors.

That would be awesome.

I have a Tactical Solutions Axiom and SiCo Spectre II that I did the silicone oil pre-treat to with several hundred rounds each. Probably time to open them up and clean/re-treat.

I also have a SiCo Osprey Micro that I pre-treated that has probably 1500+ rounds, I’m literally shaking chunks of build up out of it. It’s nasty and I’m dreading cleaning it. That said last time I took it apart a good majority of the build up simply wiped away.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
April 07, 2020, 11:38 PM
George from Alaska
I shoot all of my pistol suppressors wet with RemOil or "Blitz" brand light foamy white lithium grease from AutoZone or O'Reilly's. I just keep shooting and shooting and keep spraying every four or five mags. Besides making your can noticeably quieter and eliminating frp, especially in monocores, it is never hard to clean the baffles or core. You end up with a layer of sound absorbing sludge instead of baked in carbon. No soaking, no "the Dip", no pins, no ultrasonic, no aluminum or bronze brushing. It just wipes off at the range or if I'm feeling particularly lazy in my now officially old Medicare age, I will use some Non-chlorinated auto parts cleaner to hose off 85% of it. I've been collecting, shooting, selling and cleaning cans for over 30 years. Do remember that you do not want to get your baffles back to the look they had coming from the factory. Most experts and suppressor companies will tell you and/or state in the manual that a thin layer of carbon actually enhances sound performance. Look it up fo' yourselves. Cleaning suppressors is a fun thing to research.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02
April 08, 2020, 06:29 AM
SIGfourme
The baffles have caked on lead. The carbon came right off. I had to knock the baffles out of the tube with a polymer rod and hammer.
I typically use automobile anti seize on all the threads . The first baffle gets a coat of antiseize as well.
The baffles were literally fused together by the lead.
Sharing our knowledge is what makes this forum great.
April 08, 2020, 10:51 AM
DSgrouse
Interesting, I run my mask at about 1k to 2k per cleaning. I don't notice a drop in capabilities during that time. Nor do I notice an increase in after cleaning it. I run mine dry. I tried wet when i first got it, and it seemed to increase the speed that the sludge built up.

Now, it is dry all the time. As for cleaning the lead off, gloves, mask and apron. Stainless gun cleaning brush on an outside workbench. It takes 10, maybe 15 minutes total. Put it back together, grease the threads. and it is good to go.