SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Any special issues with 308 Win AR-type rifles and suppressors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any special issues with 308 Win AR-type rifles and suppressors? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
That’s the question.

I’ve read many discussions about 223/5.56 ARs and suppressors, but don’t recall any concerning that type of rifle chambered for 308 Winchester.
Any potential problems I should anticipate or fixes I should be aware of?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can think of is to make sure the Suppressor is built to withstand the rate of fire you'll be shooting through it but thats true for any of them. Maybe an adjustable gas block or heavier buffer to manage gas to the face, but thats true for 556 AR's also....so nothing I can think of unique to 308 that wouldn't also apply to any other caliber. I have a Sandman L and an Omega.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
I use a Surefire SOCOM762-RC on a LMT LM8MWS and it's been great. I don't do rapid fire but I do get some minor mirage on hot days but otherwise, no issues.

At first, I was concerned about the suppressor creating too much back pressure and causing battering of the lower. I called LMT and they told me that the lower was built to withstand it, and using the included H3 buffer, I didn't need to be concerned. However, I installed a Heavy Buffers XH buffer, just to be safe. Runs great.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted Hide Post
Aside from LMT and KAC rifles that were designed from the get-go to run suppressed, just about every other .308 AR I've ever had any experience with has experienced reliability and accelerated parts wear issues when run suppressed right out of the box. Most of the problems can be overcome with an adjustable gas system, but a lot of systems will still run right on the ragged edge of reliability when run suppressed.

Mike Smith/AAC

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Haven't had any issues with my 716 running a Sig 762TI-QD. But the round count hasn't been that high.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilentMike:
just about every other .308 AR I've ever had any experience with has experienced reliability and accelerated parts wear issues when run suppressed right out of the box.

I appreciate learning from the expert. I don’t plan to do much shooting with a suppressor, but wanted to know what to anticipate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Any special issues with 308 Win AR-type rifles and suppressors?

They are still loud ... pay no attention to Hollyweird.

Smile

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

Yes, I’m familiar with that. Smile

The best using a TBAC suppressor on my rifles (223, 308, and 300 WM) does for me is allows using just ear plugs rather than muffs. But that’s sometimes enough for my purposes.

And in defense of the movies, it’s not just limited to them. Authors who should know better are sometimes just as guilty, if not more so. Nelson DeMille has a series of books about an ex-NYPD detective that I enjoyed reading for their stories, but his stunning ignorance of guns and ballistics were major speedbumps. I can tolerate handgun bullets’ knocking people across the room, but according to DeMille M14 rifles were commonly available on the “surplus” market and they can be completely silenced with a suppressor. On the other hand, their bullets can also be stopped by soft Kevlar body armor.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a Daniel Defense DD5V1 with an Omega 300 suppressor and have not had any issues in the couple hundred rounds I shot out of it suppressed or unsuppressed.
Here's a brief video I did last summer.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I have a Daniel Defense DD5V1 with an Omega 300 suppressor ....

Very nice; thanks for that.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My SCAR 17 13” SBR is shot almost exclusively with an AAC-762-SDN6.

With the adjustable gas block, it’s been completely reliable. Only failures its ever had in 2500+ rounds was when a defective FN magazine feed lip broke and fouled the bolt. Improper heat treated batch of Mags, I had 2 of them replaced by FN.

Overall suppressed round count is 2K. Back post Sandy hook when 5.56 went to $0.50+ a round I just chose to shoot Prvi 308 for the same or less.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience running .308 semi guns suppressed tends to soften up the recoil even more. Never had any hiccups feed or blowback wise over multiple cans.

Posts: 10 | Registered: March 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Smile

AR10 12" with subsonic ammo and YHM Ti can, it sounds like a fart in the wind. It does turn the gun in to a bolt gun though.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
quote:
quote:

Smile

AR10 12" with subsonic ammo and YHM Ti can, it sounds like a fart in the wind. It does turn the gun in to a bolt gun though.
Not to mention effects on max effective range and terminal ballistics... I’d prefer 300BLK suppressed to your setup, as it would still operate.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:

Not to mention effects on max effective range and terminal ballistics... I’d prefer 300BLK suppressed to your setup, as it would still operate.

308 Win isn't optimized for subsonic ammo. Minimal powder in a big case doesn't provide consistent MV or accuracy. As RHINO states, the 300BLK is a better choice for launching a heavy 308 bullet at subsonic velocity.

Furthermore, intentionally using ammo in a semi auto rifle which disengages its semi auto function makes no sense. A suppressed AR-10 with proper ammo will be loud. But as sigfreund states, not so loud as to require the most effective types of hearing pro.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I tried to find 308 Win subsonic loads that would be even marginally satisfactory. I experimented with the factory loads I could find and all had huge velocity variations and horrible accuracy. One strung out 18 inches (!) vertically at 100 yards. As mentioned, there are advantages to shooting the cartridge with a suppressor, but being inaudibly quiet isn’t one of them.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I've shot hundreds of rounds of 308 in 3 different LR308's using 2 different cans (Harvester and Dobbs Defense ARC30). The only thing you really need to do is get an adjustable gas block and turn down the gas. A stiffer buffer spring is also nice. Just expect your POI to change with the can on. You may notice a little more recoil due to the extra dwell time of the gas system. The only real issue that I have had was breaking 2 scopes out shooting. Both of the reticles starting rotating and were replaced under warranty.
There is a noticeable supersonic crack; but they are hearing safe (under 140db). We are allowed to hunt suppressed in my state and I took my first suppressed whitetail last year. Nice not to have your ears ring after the shot.

Posts: 17 | Location: Golf Cart City, GA | Registered: March 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post