SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    NFA Division Affected by Government Shutdown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA Division Affected by Government Shutdown Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted
https://americansuppressorasso...government-shutdown/

ATLANTA, GA – As the government shutdown extends into its third week, suppressor buyers and dealers across the country have one resounding question: Will the shutdown have an impact on suppressor transfers? The answer, unfortunately, is yes. After speaking with sources in the administration, ASA can confirm that the NFA Division is NOT processing tax-paid transfers during the shutdown.

Unlike the actual approval/denial of NFA applications, tax payments for NFA transfers are processed directly by Bank of America. Because Bank of America employees do not work for the government, the $200 tax payments are still being processed as usual. After the checks are cashed, the forms are still being mailed to the NFA Division in Martinsburg, West Virginia. Under normal circumstances, this part of the process accounts for the first one to two weeks of the average NFA transfer. As a result of the shutdown, forms are stacking up as they are received by the NFA Division.

Realistically, consumers can expect to see a short term increase in transfer times while the backlog builds. However, NFA examiners and contractors are known to work extensive overtime, including holidays and weekends. We anticipate that they will look to make up for lost wages and time by working hard once government operations resume. An additional counterweight to the mounting backlog is the fact that ATF has previously assigned non-NFA staff to temporarily assist NFA in reducing past backlogs. ASA will encourage ATF to do the same this time.

Once the shutdown ends, ASA will communicate with NFA Division staff to bring you updates. In the meantime, we encourage consumers and dealers to continue submitting transfer forms for suppressor purchases. After all, government shutdown or not, NFA forms will be processed in the order in which they are received.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8766 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Figures.

I am (was) within about a month of getting another Onega out of jail.

Without bringing politics into it, if we get a wall out of it, we’ll be far better off and a couple extra months of wait is ok.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Figures.

Without bringing politics into it, if we get a wall out of it, we’ll be far better off and a couple extra months of wait is ok.

Right there with ya. Checks cashed 5/29/18 for a TBAC 338 Ultra and Omega 9K. I too am OK with the extra wait.....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Figures.

Since we’re not bring politics into it, they can stuff the wall and need to stop the shutdown nonsense. I was notified of an error in one of my Form 1s just before the shutdown, but never got a letter explaining the error, and no way to find out or correct while this stupidly continues.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Figures.

The wait time after check being cashed according to Silencer Shop averages 175 days. I'm now over that, but the last 30 have been during the shutdown Mad

Still waiting on my first and second cans. Trying my patience....

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather have the wall.
Get funded

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
I had a stamp come in yesterday.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1215 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Cool! Hope mine shows up soon.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
They cashed my check 8/3, so 175 days would be January 25th. No such luck for me yet.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Rookie numbers.
Mine was cashed Jan. 11, 2018.

I'm at 398 days now.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
Rookie numbers.
Mine was cashed Jan. 11, 2018.

I'm at 398 days now.

Eek

Looks like that Columbian man-whorin' gig finally caught up with you....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The shutdown probably did little to extend the wait. I have a Form 1 Efile submitted since 12/2. Many are coming out in 15 days. I'm at 75.

I also have a Form 4 since late April that is at about 300 days. It took them six weeks to submit the CC payment and send the form to the AFT. Not the first submitted and still it take months for the FBI background check. Too busy doing all their back room dealings to do the job? Calling the ATF gets the same canned response..."Pending, background". Did it change since the one you did a few days ago?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Has the NFA office moved from Martinsberg , West Virginia?? I'm hearing the NFA division relocated to the West?? Any truth to this??

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Has the NFA office moved from Martinsberg , West Virginia?? I'm hearing the NFA division relocated to the West?? Any truth to this??

No, just the company that processes payment switched to an out west company.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post