SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    1st suppressor - a few q's - 1) engraving for trust? 2) notifying the ATF if "vacationing" with suppressor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st suppressor - a few q's - 1) engraving for trust? 2) notifying the ATF if "vacationing" with suppressor? Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Hey all,

Forgive the newbie questions... and the fact that they have been answered before...

1) I'm putting the suppressor in the trust. It's a form 4 (coming from a dealer, not making it myself). Do I need to engrave the trust on the suppressor?

2) If I plan to take a vacation to a neighboring state which does allow suppressors, can I just pack up and drive or do I need to notify the ATF of the location of the suppressor and how long I will be staying in the neighboring state?

3) As per 2 above, how do I check which states allow suppressors and, can I travel across multiple states (assuming suppressors are allowed in each) to get to my destination?

As an FYI, the suppressor is in at my FFL, but I haven't started the paperwork yet as I need to adjust a few things on the trust I bought first... so... I know I'll have to wait 11 to 12 months.

However, I just wanted to know the answers to the above to keep me in-step with the legal requirements once I do get it.

Thanks for any input!!!

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
You only need to engrave if you're making it yourself (Form 1). It will already be engraved by the maker (i.e. whoever manufactured it) with their information if you're getting it on a Form 4.

If you want to transport NFA items*** interstate, fill out Form 5320.20, which, unfortunately, isn't available on E-forms for electronic submission.

Here's a link to the form: https://www.atf.gov/file/11361/download

I don't know if there's anything different you'd do for a trust; all my NFA stuff is individual.

***Strictly speaking, if you look at USC 922a4, it doesn't actually include silencers among the NFA items that need permission to cross state lines, but I'd still submit a 5320.20 just to be sure.

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Engraving is only required if you’re making a NFA item on a Form 1. A suppressor on a form 4 has already been “made” and doesn’t require any more engraving.

Unlike SBRs, suppressors don’t require permission from the ATF prior to taking across state lines.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought it was only Form 1 (creating SBRs and the like) that needed engraving.

I was not aware of the interstate form. I'll ask the dealer when I fill out the paperwork to confirm it's not needed for suppressors.

Anyone know where I can get a list as to what states allow suppressors? Is it on Handgunlaw.us?

James

"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Check out Storm’s latest map update here for list of states where suppressors are legal.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Thanks, I thought it was only Form 1 (creating SBRs and the like) that needed engraving.

I was not aware of the interstate form. I'll ask the dealer when I fill out the paperwork to confirm it's not needed for suppressors.

Anyone know where I can get a list as to what states allow suppressors? Is it on Handgunlaw.us?

James

You can read it right in the instructions of the Form 1 pdf.

a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a) (4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR. A letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.

You can also read the sections of the law listed. Not required for suppressors. If you send one it, it will likely just be sent back.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post