SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Center fire rifle cans

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Center fire rifle cans Login/Join 
posted
Hey all-

I'm just getting started with suppressors.

I am curious: what calibers do you use which cans with?

5.56: can you use this with anything 5.56 and smaller? 204 Ruger? 22 Magnum? 22 LR? Any restrictions besides staying under that bore size?

30 cal (Omega): 5.56, .308, 300 Blackout, I know. Anything else?

Thanks,

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2291 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Report This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I would check with the manufacturer's recommendations first before you shoot other calibers.

I wouldn't shoot 22lr through a centerfire can unless you can take it apart yourself to clean it. 22lr is super-dirty.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26464 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a Thunder Beast 30P-1/Ultra (hybrid) that I use with 223/5.56, 300 Blackout, 308 Winchester, and 300 Winchester Magnum. Short of subsonic ammunition, it’s quietest with 223, but it’s also larger than most suppressors dedicated to that cartridge.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36903 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
I got a mix of several thunderbeast and Aac cans that have been used on anything from 300 win mag to 308 to blackout to 6.5x47 to 6.5 Creedmoor to 6 dasher to 223. All work great.

I wouldn't buy a dedicated 223 can, but that's just me.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the dedicated 5.56 can not useful for anything else?

Thanks,

Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I got a mix of several thunderbeast and Aac cans that have been used on anything from 300 win mag to 308 to blackout to 6.5x47 to 6.5 Creedmoor to 6 dasher to 223. All work great.

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Thanks,

Bruce

quote:

It wouldn't be rated for anything over 5.56 so you'll be very limited. This might not seem like a big deal now but you'll probably eventually want something else that can also take a suppressor. Exx's post would be a good example to use as to something being said about versatility.

Best bet is a 7.62 can that you can change endcaps on if you so desire. I don't even bother with changing mine when I use one of my cans for 5.56 because I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Houston,Tx | Registered: May 18, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have (bought) the 5.56 can and a 30 caliber can.
I see I got it right, on the 30 caliber can.

I'm hoping the 5.56 can can be used for sub-5.56 calibers, at least.

Bruce

Jazz Hands Ninja
posted Hide Post
When we have people wanting to start out in silencers we usually recommend the following
.30 Cal Rifle can (Will work with most common rifles)
.45 Pistol can (WIll work with most pistols ),
a dedicated .22lr can with stainless steel baffles that is user serviceable (.22 is dirty and I dont want to gum up my other cans shooting through them,).

You can suppress about 85% of things you would want to suppress if you have those 3 cans.

I have a dedicated 556 can that lives full time on my primary defensive rifle. I like having it so I always know its there and use my 30 cal can on everything else

NRA Certified instructor:
Basic Rifle
Basic Pistol
Basic Shotgun
Home Firearm Safety
Personal Protection In The Home
Certified NRA Range Safety officer

Upper Hand Defense LLC
upperhanddefense.com
facebook.com/Upperhanddefense

Posts: 2907 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Thanks,

Bruce

quote:

I suppose it depends on the particular can. 22-250 is a bit larger cartridge than 223, so I could imagine some dedicated 223 cans not being rated for it.

Just like I own two 45 cans and no 9mm cans (even though I only own a single 45, but multiple 9s), I own multiple 30 cal cans and no 223.

Its far easier to put a smaller bullet through a larger hole than the reverse.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I only have one rifle can an Omega I shoot both 300blk and 556 my next can will be a dedicated 556 can: Specwar K before they all disappear (stopped making them).

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 2662 | Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
When we have people wanting to start out in silencers we usually recommend the following
.30 Cal Rifle can (Will work with most common rifles)
.45 Pistol can (WIll work with most pistols ),
a dedicated .22lr can with stainless steel baffles that is user serviceable (.22 is dirty and I dont want to gum up my other cans shooting through them,).

You can suppress about 85% of things you would want to suppress if you have those 3 cans.

I have a dedicated 556 can that lives full time on my primary defensive rifle. I like having it so I always know its there and use my 30 cal can on everything else

I guess I need a .22 LR can, then. The 5.56 and .30 cal are covered Smile .45 will have to wait.

Bruce

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .300 win mag through my omega.

WTF???? was the reaction it completely quieted the round down as a tiny package.

Posts: 8870 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Report This Post