SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Can a trustee pick up an NFA item? (paging heavyd!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a trustee pick up an NFA item? (paging heavyd!) Login/Join 
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted
Can a trustee pick up an NFA item from the dealer after the form 4 is approved and the stamp received? Can the trustee fill out the 4473? Or does everything have to be done by the settlor of the trust?

The reason I ask is I'm out traveling and received a call from my dealer that a stamp has been received. I'd like to get the suppressor off of their shelf and under my control, just because.

If it matters my trust was written by SIGforum's own heavyd of NFALawyers LLC.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in FL. for the winter. In Dec. and Jan. two of my form 4's were approved. My dealer said there was no way I could get them short of appearing at his place to fill out the form.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Read your trust, it really depends how it is worded. On mine, I have "alternate trustees", who can only make changes to the trust if I am incapacitated.

However, in general, a trustee is a person in whom trust is held, i.e., they are trusted to handle things. So, if they are a full trustee, then yes, they can handle the arrangements on the part of the trust, this is the very definition of a trustee.

But, ultimately, read your individual trust, it can vary.

Posts: 830 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
You'll obviously want to wait for HeavyD to respond, but like you I have a trust from Dean and we specifically listed someone in-state as a Trustee for this very reason. So I'm inclined to say yes they can.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Section IV of your Trust, Trustees and Successor Trustees, should help you answer your question.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My brother and I are cotrustees. He went and got a suppressor on his own and didn't have issues picking it up when filling out the 4473.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses thus far. Looks like I have a bit of reading to do.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took me a while to see your post. Any trustee may pick up for pre 41F applications. Only fingerprinted, pictured, et cetera trustees may pick up for post 41F applications.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Sorry it took me a while to see your post. Any trustee may pick up for pre 41F applications. Only fingerprinted, pictured, et cetera trustees may pick up for post 41F applications.

Thank you, kind sir!