SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Guidance on First Cans: AR Pistol and Beretta M9a3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guidance on First Cans: AR Pistol and Beretta M9a3 Login/Join 
posted
I'm currently building my first AR pistol and looking for a suppressor for it and an M9a3. My co-worker recommends a Dead Air Sandman K for the AR. I'd like input from the experts here and suggestions for the Beretta. Thanks!

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead air oddessa for the pistol if you want scalable size. Ghost m if you want to shoot up to 45 cal guns.
I would pass on the k, depebding on your set up it may not be hearing safe from what i have read.

Nomad with keymo would do well.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Sandman K is too short. Agree with DGrouse
What is the goal? Price, weight, materials,
Same question for 9mm- price, weight, materials?
Beretta M9 needs to have the suppressor clear the guide rod. Consider AAC Illusion= non centric bore.
Go for the “best” centerfire suppressor— Energetic Armament Vox.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guide rod issue on the Beretta can be avoided by using a SilencerCo XL piston. Either a SilencerCo can, or another manufacturer that takes SilencerCo pistons (like Rugged Obsidian) will work.

For the AR pistol, what caliber and barrel length? If it’s 5.56, then some cans have barrel length restrictions. Plus, if it’s a really short barrel, it’s probably not going to be hearing safe regardless of the can.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind if your research is videos on youtube. Most of those use equipment which are incapqle of propperly scaling the sound to human ear. By that i mean the mic's tend to cut off above 125 or 130 db. So anything over tjat sounds like the cut off level. Imho sound should be measured at shooters ear.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
What caliber and barrel length will your AR pistol be?

The Sandman-K would not be a good starter can.

I have it and use it on my 7.5” 300blk AR pistol.
It’s still loud with subsonics.

I tried it with my 8.5”, 9”, 10.5” SBRs and it’s still loud. It knocks the edge off which is what I wanted it for in a short setup.

Pretty sure it’s going to be even louder on a 5.56.

The M9A3’s barrel should be long enough to clear the guide rod. Someone with one should be able to answer that. My 92F’s barrel was threaded from stock length and is shorter than the M9A3 barrel and my guide rod clears my suppressors. Barely.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the new Rugged Radiant can for AR type weapons... and lots more actually. It’s a modular rifle can. Rugged’s whole line up is solid for that matter. Not knocking Dead Air, quality stuff there as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6985 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What dry fly said. Last year dead air had a couple of awesome promos that made buying them an easy choice.

This year there a few other manufactures doing the same thing. If you dont get a promo can deal, then rugged and vox would be my choices to look at. Vox can use dead air keymo system.

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've got the Odessa on order. Will do more research before buying and AR can.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post