SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Daniel Defense Mk18 sbr
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daniel Defense Mk18 sbr Login/Join 
posted
Greetings members. I know the current wait is nuts. But. I have always wanted a sbr. And I went to a new gun store recently and I saw the class 3 toys and I felt like it was Christmas and I was a kid again. I handled a Daniel Defense Mk18 sbr and absolutely fell in love with the thing. Is this a good quality factory sbr? I have some extra money to blow so I know the cost and the wait involved. But. I know nothing about sbrs. I'm a pistol guy. So any feedback would be appreciated from any members who own one. Thank you.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
It's about as good of a factory SBR as you're going to find. A friend has one that he's been very happy with, shot it many times without a single issue. I personally prefer 11.5" over the 10.3" of the DD, but to each there own. Think you'd be very pleased with the Mk18.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I have one that I love. Check out Garand Thumb on YouTube. He has a couple of vids on the Mk18. Plus he's a pretty dang funny guy.

All that aside, I think you'd be happy with the Mk18. The DD rail is a little heavy compared to others on the market these days, but it is very solid.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
The DD rail is a little heavy compared to others on the market these days, but it is very solid.

A couple of notes:

1) The gas port on civilian DD MK18 bbls are over-sized. This is due to DD not knowing what kind of ammo civilians are going to run, but it's unfortunate because it means these guns will be overgassed for your standard NATO spec'd ammo.

2) MK18 rails are not sold separately by DD, so if you don't want the rail the gun comes with, you can sell it for some big $$$. They were fetching as high as $600 a year ago. Probably not that high anymore, but still more than shorty rail typically goes for (due the milspec/navy SEALs appeal).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I had this pistol varian before my state passed SBR legislation, now I have a full FDE SBR coming.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
A buddy has one. It's a pig compared to my 11.5" BCM SBR.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
A buddy has one. It's a pig compared to my 11.5" BCM SBR.

Same experience here. It's a great AR, but my 11.5" DD is very heavy next to my BCM 11.5".

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Look at the Colt 6933, also.
Classic factory SBR.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Colt 6920 cut to 10.3" by ADCO and a DD MK18 rail added. It was cheaper than buying a factory DD MK18 upper plus the factory DD is overgassed with a .080 gas port.

As others have said, it's hefty.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I handled one at a local store. I think I've just been spoiled by keymod & m-lock guards.

The quadrail drives me nuts. Otherwise seemed to be well made.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Colt 6933 and/or a Colt 6920 with barrel cut down + gas port opened up (Adco or Nefarious Arms).

You can get a Colt OEM 1 or 2 right now for under $700 and then build it out with all the pieces/parts you want.

The DD SBR's are nice, but overpriced and as already mentioned, significantly over-gassed.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
Mine is a Colt 6920 cut to 10.3" by ADCO and a DD MK18 rail added. It was cheaper than buying a factory DD MK18 upper plus the factory DD is overgassed with a .080 gas port.

Well played.
What size gas port with the barrel cut down?

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I love mine.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:

Well played.

tp

.070. Same as NSWC Crane opens them to. Good reliability suppressed and unsuppressed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:

Well played.

tp

.070. Same as NSWC Crane opens them to. Good reliability suppressed and unsuppressed.

Nice.

tp

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I have run mine full auto A LOT. It eats every round of wolf and reloads I feed it, as long as you load the mag properly.

Buy one and don't look back. They are incredible rifles.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll bite. I don't have a lot of experience with M4 pattern rifles. What, specifically, do you all mean saying that the MK18 is "overgassed"? I've been looking at a MK18 at my LGS, too. (blindref, you're a bad influence!)

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
OK, I'll bite. I don't have a lot of experience with M4 pattern rifles. What, specifically, do you all mean saying that the MK18 is "overgassed"? I've been looking at a MK18 at my LGS, too. (blindref, you're a bad influence!)

A factory DD MK18 comes with a larger than normal gas port (.080) to make sure it runs with all ammo. They cycle super fast which can lead to premature wear on its parts.

If you shoot it supressed you may get a good dose of gas to the face.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post