SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Speed and suppression 38 special 16 inch barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speed and suppression 38 special 16 inch barrel Login/Join 
posted
It has taken almost a year, but my Marlin CSBL has its threaded barrel, silencerco hybrid suppressor, and vortex venom red dot. I have not been able to find good information about bullet speed and suppression for 38 special out of a 16 inch rifle barrel, so here is what I have found. More hand loads to come.

All rounds are hearing safe. Feet per second is the average of 5 shots. I apologize but I did not write down weather conditions.

Federal 158gr lead ------------------- 950 fps
Magtech 158gr flat nose FMJ --------- 1000 fps
Berry 158gr FMJ w/ 4.0gr WIN 231 ----- 830 fps
WWB 150gr lead ----------------------- 990 fps
WWB 130gr FMJ ----------------------- 1045 fps

I hope that this helps someone. I know that Marlin now has a whole line of suppressor ready lever action rifles. That single hand load of mine shot with a whisper. From now on I will be shooting with the Magtech and working on accuracy for handloads. Enjoy and stay safe.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really want one of these in 45lc. Heck I would take a 38/357 also.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I recently traded into an 1895CST.
It is stupid quiet with my octane 45 and 158 grain 38spl.
Even 357 isn’t too bad since the boom is pretty far away from you.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post