SIGforum
School Me on Untrasonic Cleaners

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/3020078614

January 03, 2017, 02:34 PM
JRC
School Me on Untrasonic Cleaners
In anticipation of receiving my first suppressor in (hopefully) the not to distant future, I went ahead and picked up the Harbor Freight Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Now what? What solution/solvent are you guys using to clean the baffles of your suppressors? Heat or no heat, and how long of a run time are you finding necessary?

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share.
January 03, 2017, 08:57 PM
SIGfourme
Can't put aluminum in ultrasonic.
Can't put ceracoated tubes in ultrasonic-paint comes off.
January 03, 2017, 09:04 PM
SIGfourme
Try Www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html for Rimfire clean/prevention.
January 04, 2017, 12:41 PM
Chowser
I was going to get an ultrasonic but two of my three 22 suppressors have aluminum baffles so I just do the pretreat like the Sigfourme above linked.

Not minority enough!
January 07, 2017, 04:44 PM
RNshooter
They advertise this for cleaning complete AR 15 uppers: Hot tub

Would that not mean cleaning aluminum and Cerakote, oftentimes?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
January 07, 2017, 10:13 PM
mike28w
Why can't you put aluminum into an ultrasonic cleaner ??
January 09, 2017, 11:59 PM
guardianangel762
Hornady makes an AR-15 upper receiver ultrasonic cleaner I don't think the no aluminum thing is factual because mine has been in there many times.

My silencerco Omega has been in an ultrasonic cleaner many times and the cerecoat is still intact.

January 10, 2017, 06:32 AM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Why can't you put aluminum into an ultrasonic cleaner ??

You can, provided you use an oil based cleaner like break free, 30wt with detergent. If you use a water based like most cleabers do, then it will be fairly alkaline, and will etch the aluminimun
January 11, 2017, 10:39 AM
JRC
So what solution(s) are you guys using to clean the internals (SS) of your centerfire pistol suppressors?

Thanks in advance!
January 11, 2017, 10:58 PM
zephyr
I've been using the Hornady One Shoot solution mixed with distilled water. I put the temp on high and cook my Octane baffles for 90 minutes. Makee it much easier to clean.
January 12, 2017, 11:50 AM
JRC
Thank you, zephyr.

I'm curious if anyone has tried either of the following solutions I've come across on "the web":

Specifically I'm looking to clean Stainless Steel baffles, but would ALSO like to clean the aluminum tube of an Obsidian suppressor, which is Cerokote coated:

1. Mixture of Simple Green and water. I'm pretty certain this would be OK for the baffles, but a no-no for the aluminum tube.

2. Straight automotive break fluid, which I believe is a 100% petroleum based fluid. (SDgrouse - your thoughts).

Thanks, All!
January 12, 2017, 12:44 PM
myrottiety
How would one clean a titanium tube & titanium cups in a suppressor?

Just curious since i'm planning on doing my form 1 when it comes back out of %100 titanium and DC bath anodizing it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
January 18, 2017, 06:09 PM
StorminNormin
Watching this thread as I have been wanting to get an ultrasonic cleaner for my suppressors, pistols, and some AR parts. I have looked at the Hornady cleaner but I never heard anything about not putting anything aluminum in them. I need to see what the baffles of my suppressors are made of.

I don't enjoy cleaning guns, but that is probably because it takes me a long time since I am anal and have to have them very clean. I think/hope and ultrasonic cleaner will make it easier and quicker.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
January 22, 2017, 05:39 PM
David W
I hate cleaning guns, parts as well. Seems like an ultrasonic cleaner would clean baffles and BCG pretty good.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
January 22, 2017, 06:13 PM
StorminNormin
I am debating between the Hornady Hot Tub or the Hornady Lock n' Load. I am leaning towards the Lock n'Load as I don't know I will do my AR barrels. I hate removing my optics because then they lose their zero.

I think I would just clean suppressor baffles, pistol barrels, and AR bolt carrier group.

I need to look into what cleaners are best and if I should just wipe with oil after cleaning or use a second bath with a lubricating solution.

February 07, 2017, 11:35 AM
RNshooter
I'm hoping someone can give some feedback on the Hot Tub. I'm considering buying one for AR uppers and suppressors.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
February 07, 2017, 02:13 PM
Brett B
I use this Hornady 7L ultrasonic cleaner and it has worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady..._product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm not trying to drop a complete 16" barreled upper into the cleaner so this size is right for me. I also purchased some of the smaller indirect tanks for cleaning several batches of different parts at once:

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady...05N9972ZM0HGX5G2PZJB

Using those stainless tanks I just fill the main ultrasonic chamber with water and put the cleaner/solvent in the smaller tanks. Then when done I strain the cleaner for reuse and just drain the water in the main cleaner down the drain.

I have cleaned batches of brass for reloading, .22 suppressors, P226 .22LR pistol uppers, P226 frame, AR15 BCGs and entire P320 FCUs. It has worked great for all of those items.

I use the Lucas bore and ultrasonic cleaner for the P226 upper, frame, AR15 BCG and P320 FCUs. I use the Hornady cleaners for the brass and .22LR suppressor parts as it's a bit more aggressive.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/
February 07, 2017, 08:21 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I use this Hornady 7L ultrasonic cleaner and it has worked great:

Using those stainless tanks I just fill the main ultrasonic chamber with water and put the cleaner/solvent in the smaller tanks. Then when done I strain the cleaner for reuse and just drain the water in the main cleaner down the drain.

I ended up buying the 7L version but have not cleaned anything yet. I will try what you mentioned about putting water in main tank and solution mix in smaller tank. I am looking forward to using it. I just wish I 3could clean my 762-SDN-6 suppressor in it. I emailed them and they said they do not recommend that as it can remove the finish.

February 07, 2017, 08:29 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

Do you need both the stainless tank and the black plastic basket if you want to order a second set? Does the black basket go in the stainless smaller tank? I just have been so busy working I haven't even opened the box yet.

February 08, 2017, 08:31 AM
Brett B
I just fill the main tank to the "min" fill line with water, and then drop in 1 or 2 of the stainless tanks with the small parts in them. They float a bit until you put on the lid. I haven't used or needed the black basket for anything yet.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/