SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    P226 - blowback with a suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
P226 - blowback with a suppressor Login/Join 
Member
posted
I've recently gotten back into shooting after deciding to join the NFA world. After a year in jail, my suppressor is home and we are just getting to know each other. Unfortunately, the blowback is more than I expected! I'm running an Obsidian 9 on mine and shooting mainly S&B 150Gr and Lawmen 147gr. Can anyone comment on using a heavier recoil spring in their 226? I have seen suggestions on other forums to use a 24# spring to increase the lock time and send more debris down the bore. Thoughts?
 
Posts: 26 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
Where exactly is the blowback bothering you... from the election port or straight back in your face? The Sig 226 (I have a few and own and sell suppressors) is an almost perfect host for suppressed use.
You may want to try some of the 158 grain subs out there... IMI, PPU, or CCI Lawman 147. Don't use American Eagle 147 grain subs as they are hideously loud, too short overall for my MP5 and a few other guns and they are very dirty.


P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02
 
Posts: 36 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
A world. After a year in jail, my suppressor is home and we are just getting to know each other. Unfortunately, the blowback is more than I expected! I'm running an Obsidian 9 on mine and shooting mainly S&B 150Gr and Lawmen 147gr. Can anyone comment on using a heavier recoil spring in their 226? I have seen suggestions on other forums to use a 24# spring to increase the lock time and send more debris down the bore. Thoughts?



Add a couple of shims to the spring to pre load it. That will slow the cycle down a tad.
 
Posts: 5949 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Its definitely coming from the ejection port. The blowback may be perfectly normal and inexperience may be more the problem. After a couple of magazines, I began to look like a chimney sweep. When running the same ammo on a 9mm AR, I don't notice anything coming from the ejection port making it very pleasant to shoot. I'll give the 158gr a chance and see if it is any cleaner.
 
Posts: 26 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
That’s strange to say the least. My 226 is a great host to my Obsidian 45 and Octane 45, no discernible blowback using either. Slightly more volume in those cans than the 9mm version, but not enough that it should cause blowback.



Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
 
Posts: 4825 | Location: Willow Park, TX | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I load my own subsonics for use with my YHM can. I noticed a HUGE difference when using a faster burning powder. It nearly eliminated the face full of needles blowback.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 15303 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is one of those things that fascinates me because so few people ever talk about it. When I was considering getting a suppressor to use with my P226 some years ago I had no idea that blowback could be such a problem. I sometimes think it’s an extreme example of, “Cripes: I spent $1000 on the can, another $200 on the stamp, $2C on a threaded barrel, waited a year, and now get a face full of unburned powder every time I pull the trigger, all so I could impress the other shooters at the range—‽ What an embarrassment; I’m certainly not going to tell anyone.”

When I read about people advocating using suppressors on self-defense house guns, I wonder if they plan to put on protective goggles before an encounter so they’re not blinded if they ever have to shoot someone in the middle of the night.




“Caesar: Pardon him, Theodotus. He is a barbarian and thinks the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.”
— George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra
 
Posts: 41893 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
This is one of those things that fascinates me because so few people ever talk about it. When I was considering getting a suppressor to use with my P226 some years ago I had no idea that blowback could be such a problem. I sometimes think it’s an extreme example of, “Cripes: I spent $1000 on the can, another $200 on the stamp, $2C on a threaded barrel, waited a year, and now get a face full of unburned powder every time I pull the trigger, all so I could impress the other shooters at the range—‽ What an embarrassment; I’m certainly not going to tell anyone.”

When I read about people advocating using suppressors on self-defense house guns, I wonder if they plan to put on protective goggles before an encounter so they’re not blinded if they ever have to shoot someone in the middle of the night.


That is a bit harsh. It is dependant on many factors.
The gun's recoil spring, barrel length, Piston spring weight, tube length, tube diameter, cartridge weight, and cartridge powder.
 
Posts: 5949 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
It is dependant on many factors.


Yes, it is, and thanks for enumerating some of them because that’s the problem: Very seldom in these discussions about suppressors are they ever mentioned. I’m not of course suggesting that anyone has an obligation to warn the potential first time buyer of a suppressor for a gun like the P226 what he might encounter, but it’s nevertheless surprising to me that it doesn’t happen very often, if at all. And that was my point. It’s almost as if that’s due to embarrassment that we have to find it out the hard way.

All of those factors can indeed affect whether someone is going to have problems when shooting a suppressed gun like the P226, and how realistic is it that someone will have the time and other resources to work through them all to eliminate the problem?

If I posted that I was considering almost any other purchase, from a lawn mower to a corporate jet, it would all but be guaranteed that someone would jump in with a litany of reasons why I shouldn’t, or at least things I should be aware of before putting down any money. I just find it strange that it’s so uncommon in this section of the forum.




“Caesar: Pardon him, Theodotus. He is a barbarian and thinks the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.”
— George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra
 
Posts: 41893 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It's been brought up before, but not a lot. Suppressors on handguns certainly are not the most fun in the world of suppressed weapons, a suppressed .22 being a major exception.

I've found that shooting indoors in a small "lane" amplifies the problem. If outdoors it's not as bad.
 
Posts: 2555 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
It is dependant on many factors.


Yes, it is, and thanks for enumerating some of them because that’s the problem: Very seldom in these discussions about suppressors are they ever mentioned. I’m not of course suggesting that anyone has an obligation to warn the potential first time buyer of a suppressor for a gun like the P226 what he might encounter, but it’s nevertheless surprising to me that it doesn’t happen very often, if at all. And that was my point. It’s almost as if that’s due to embarrassment that we have to find it out the hard way.

All of those factors can indeed affect whether someone is going to have problems when shooting a suppressed gun like the P226, and how realistic is it that someone will have the time and other resources to work through them all to eliminate the problem?

If I posted that I was considering almost any other purchase, from a lawn mower to a corporate jet, it would all but be guaranteed that someone would jump in with a litany of reasons why I shouldn’t, or at least things I should be aware of before putting down any money. I just find it strange that it’s so uncommon in this section of the forum.


Fair enough. My comment wasn't really an argument against yours. Just an addendum.

For instance, I have 0 problems with my 226 and ghost m using 147 grain cci blazer. I have a shit ton of blow back using the tula 115.

On the flipside, the gun that I thought would have no blowback 92c, is damn near unshootable with any ammo using my Odessa and a piston set up. I am still trying to find a direct thread to see if that will stop the issue.

My HK USP's and MK23 are great with the cans, lighter faster ammo has more blow back in most cases. It is odd.
 
Posts: 5949 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You have a point. I have never heard this. Can’t imagine a gun being “unshootable”. My only experience with cans is my 22 Sparrow, which I love. I would be very disappointed after doing the process again to find that my suppressed 9 now sucked. Ugh.
 
Posts: 2716 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just me. I was shooting my 226 with my osprey at the range last month and was getting a face full every time I pulled the trigger. I was using Tulammo with a steel case and though the problem might be gas getting around the steel case because it doesn’t expand like brass. I have noticed that there is less blow back with certain types of ammo and Speer lawman 147gr worked much better.
 
Posts: 164 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with my P226 and TiRant 9 can. I reload my own 147gr subs, get lots of particles to face when I shoot it. Shooting my CX9 carbine, no problems. I have use VV N340, WSF, and AutoComp for these, don't recall much difference between them. Any recommendations for powder to try to clean it up? Thanks!
 
Posts: 1965 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any recommendations for powder to try to clean it up?



I am using 3.6 grs Titegroup and 147 gr Berrys. Works great for me.

Chris
 
Posts: 11 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As I said above I’ve never had any blowback issues shooting my 226 through either my Obsidian 45 or Octane 45 using both Federal AE 147 or Speer Lawman 147.

Now, I do have a P250 .22 that I got threaded and it has the worst blowback I’ve ever seen and it’s a .22. Thing is basically un-shootable with a can.



Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
 
Posts: 4825 | Location: Willow Park, TX | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
One thing to think about. How long are your arms? I'm six foot tall and I have little problem with blow back on my 226. It may be happening and it just doesn't make it to my face.
 
Posts: 190 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeye58:
quote:
Any recommendations for powder to try to clean it up?



I am using 3.6 grs Titegroup and 147 gr Berrys. Works great for me.

Chris


Exactly what I use.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 15303 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
On the flipside, the gun that I thought would have no blowback 92c, is damn near unshootable with any ammo using my Odessa and a piston set up. I am still trying to find a direct thread to see if that will stop the issue.


Does the Odessa not have a fixed barrel spacer available? I can’t speak to the compact but on the full size M9 using a direct thread-on can (AWC Titanium Abraxas) virtually eliminated blowback. With an EVO-9 it was pretty bad.

 
Posts: 50 | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't found one.

I shot it with all the shims removed. That helped some. I am waiting for the fixed barrel endcap to come back instock.
 
Posts: 5949 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    P226 - blowback with a suppressor

© SIGforum 2020