SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Silencerco Sparrow or a cheaper option?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silencerco Sparrow or a cheaper option? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm looking to pick up a .22 LR can for a bolt action rifle, primarily. Extra points if it would also work on a 10/22.
Is the Sparrow my best option?
Any significantly cheaper options out there that I should consider?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have a Sparrow that I originally bought because I liked the idea on a mono-core. Now that I've had it a couple years and have picked up several other rimfire cans, I can say I wouldn't buy it again. It's not that it's a bad can, but the mono-core design doesn't do well with FRP (first round pop) on pistols. I realize you're intended use is rifles, but like many things one of these days you'll be wanting to put it on a pistol.

For the same or similar price you can get into newer cans such as the Mask, Axiom, or Oculus (this is next on my list btw). Or, for less money you can get a Spectre II which itself is still a very good can and one of my personal favorites. The Mask and Spectre are stacked baffle designs which I think is easier to clean than a mono-core. While the Axiom is K-baffles inside a sleeve design, also making for relatively painless removal/cleaning (as rimfire cans go).

There are many other good cans out there too which I'm sure someone will sing the praises of. Overall though I would say look beyond the Sparrow at some of the newer offerings.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've used a Sparrow, an AWC Valkyrie and an AAC Pilot on the 10/22 takedown with no issues and on the Ruger American Rimfire bolt action with no issues. It's just a matter of what's in stock for you and what you're willing to spend. The Sparrow is a monocore so it's a little easier to clean. but like SigM4 said, FRP. I primary use it on my SW22 pistol. My Dead Air Mask should be here next month. Hopefully. Hitting the 10 month mark soon.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of experience with .22 cans, I only have about 750 rounds through my Dead Air Mask but, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. My second choice was going to be Spectre II, the Oculus had not came out yet but I still think I would have picked the Mask.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sparrow SS that gets used on a 10/22, Ruger American, and a Ruger Mark III. If I wasn't listening for it I wouldn't notice the first round pop. It's there but not significant as far as I'm concerned. Overall I'm happy with it.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have a Sparrow on my Marlin .22 bolt gun. It's very quiet, quieter than any other suppressed weapon I have experienced. The Sparrow did have a loud first round pop on a P226-22 pistol so I ended up getting a Spectre II for the pistol and it has less FRP.

What I have experienced is the Sparrow seems overall quietest for rifle use, and the Spectre II seems overall quietest for pistol use.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a Sparrow and a Mask and would go with the Mask if I were buying again... or the Rugged Oculus, that's a sweet little can. There should be no problem getting what you want, all of the distributors are sitting on stock right now.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
If my local dealer had a Mask, I would've got one.
I did get a YHM Stinger recently and absolutely love it compared to my monocore Gemtech. So much quieter, with almost non-existent FRP.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Styles Bitchley
posted Hide Post
I would say consider rating and materials. I bought the Sparrow because it is made out of steel and rated full auto up to 5.7mm. Also it has steel plates over the core that helps with cleaning and dissassembly. That ruggedness comes with a cost in weight however. I run the Sparrow on a Ruger 10/22, Mark II, and CZ 455. The autos are MORE reliable with the can, and i'd dare say more accurate. Same with the CZ, which was surprising. I like the fact that the Sparrow has the o-ring to keep the threads clean, though to get the most benefit you need your barrel threaded to their drawing. Considering the tax and wait I felt buying a durable quality can up front was worth the cost. I would definitely look at other options though based on your personal preferences.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 190 | Registered: August 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I've seen lots of offers from the big on-line dealers where if you buy a rifle can they'll throw in a .22 rimfire can.

Of course you have to pay for the stamps, but it's still a pretty good deal.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I have the original aluminum Sparrow and never upgraded it to stainless steel.

On rifles it is great and on pistols it is fine. Some FRP but not nearly as bad as the new ones.

If I had to buy today I'd get a Mask probably.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Have Sparrow myself. Its good, but as mentioned, the FRP on pistols is significant. Its also hard to remove and clean, at least it has been for me.

I'll throw my recommendation out there for the Ruger Silent-SR...GREAT tone to it. Similarly priced. There no FRP on it. Assembles and disassembles easily. I'm very pleased with it. I have a Mask in jail, probably will be another forever until I get it as I submitted my paperwork on the last day before 41f implemetion, lol. Cant wait to compare the Mask to the Ruger Silent-SR

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
I have 6 rimfire cans, including the Sparrow, Mask, and Spectre II. I only use the Sparrow on rifles and it's fine there. I don't care for it on pistols because of the FRP.

The Mask and Spectre II sound very close, but the Mask is a little shorter and has a slightly better tone.

I wouldn't consider the Sparrow again.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Okay, the DeadAir Mask sounds like a good choice.
Any suggestions on where to buy?

I don't see any dealers listed for S. Nevada.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcinc
posted Hide Post
I have the Sparrow, Dead Air Mask and the Surefire SF Ryder 22-A. All of them run great on my 10/22's and .22 pistols. If I could only have one it would be the Mask.

GeorgiaCarry.org - Life Member

Posts: 143 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: September 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Axiom and am pretty pleased with it. I wouldn't let price be a huge factor with the stamp comprising a significant fraction of any rimfire can. If the HPA ever passes, I'll buy a few more.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Was browsing in the store...new issue of Recoil magazine has some reviews of 22 suppressors. Editors pick was Thunder Beast Arms for three hundred something bucks list price. Mask was reviewed as well IIRC. They mentioned it was quiet but also mentioned POA shift I think, but don't quote me. Should have just bought the magazine LOL.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have the Mask, Spectre II and Sparrow. I would choose them in that order. If owning 3 Masks would be boring I could happy that way too.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post