SIGforum
Silencerco Omega--muzzle break or flash hider?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/2770060724

July 10, 2017, 06:22 AM
Rigby470
Silencerco Omega--muzzle break or flash hider?
I currently have an Omega sitting in jail. While I wait for my tax stamp I am setting up my upper with the appropriate accessories. The Omega has the option of attaching with either a muzzle break or a flash hider. Which would you suggest?

Muzzle break--less recoil, but loud. But this will be a moot point with the Omega attached.

Flash hider--not as loud, but more recoil.

Not sure which way to go.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943
July 10, 2017, 08:10 AM
dfwglockguy
I would think your choice would depend on the caliber and how sensitive to recoil the shooter is. If your going to be shooting a heavy recoil caliber or the shooter is recoil sensitive then the muzzle brake mount could help. Otherwise the flash hider mount is what I would suggest, I think it is the better looking mount of the two. YMMV...
July 10, 2017, 08:30 AM
Rigby470
quote:
Originally posted by dfwglockguy:
I would think your choice would depend on the caliber and how sensitive to recoil the shooter is. If your going to be shooting a heavy recoil caliber or the shooter is recoil sensitive then the muzzle brake mount could help. Otherwise the flash hider mount is what I would suggest, I think it is the better looking mount of the two. YMMV...

Good point. I am going with 5.56. So recoil isn't really much of an issue. I'm not really that recoil sensitive. I'm more sensitive to noise.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

July 10, 2017, 08:36 AM
Hammer1967
Bit of a thread drift
I had a dealer tell me that a break would need to be securely attached to the barrel.
But a flash hider could be used almost like a direct thread suppressor. Meaning you could leave it with the suppressor and move it from host to host.

I have no hands on knowledge of this, but would be interested for info from someone who does.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto
July 10, 2017, 09:03 AM
Rigby470
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:
Bit of a thread drift
I had a dealer tell me that a break would need to be securely attached to the barrel.
But a flash hider could be used almost like a direct thread suppressor. Meaning you could leave it with the suppressor and move it from host to host.

I have no hands on knowledge of this, but would be interested for info from someone who does.

That is interesting. Would like to know more about this as well.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

July 10, 2017, 09:17 AM
dfwglockguy
I'm pretty sure both mounts are intended to be left on the firearm. You just move the suppressor from one firearm to the next using the quick mounts. The Omega comes with both a quick mount and a direct thread mount, you can use either setup.
One issue would be if your taking the mount off and moving it to another firearm you would need to have a thread protector available. I don't know about you, but I'm always misplacing my thread protectors. Cool
July 10, 2017, 11:12 AM
myrottiety
From everything I've read. A brake will help extend the life of the baffle system. Especially the first baffle takes a beating.

Plus lets be honest. When the can gets here. You'll only shoot it un-suppressed to show your buddies the difference between with can & no can.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
July 10, 2017, 12:13 PM
Bob RI
Mine came with the brake and I also had 2 FH's. I'm not recoil sensitive and don't care about the noise. I put the brake on my 6.5 CM bolt gun and the FH's on my AR's. 5.56 and 6.8.
July 10, 2017, 12:34 PM
PorterN
I have the brakes for all my suppressors. I like the volume and less recoil without the suppressor, plus the added benefits of having the brake as a "sacrificial baffle"

July 10, 2017, 01:02 PM
Cntrl23
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I have the brakes for all my suppressors. I like the volume and less recoil without the suppressor, plus the added benefits of having the brake as a "sacrificial baffle"

Same here.
July 10, 2017, 02:29 PM
guardianangel762
The brake requires shims to time to the brake so it is parallel with the barrel. You don't need to do this but it would be "interesting" to have your muzzle blast go into the ground in dust or in an area with debris.

I own an Omega. I have flash hiders on my guns, not brakes. A you heard you could use the flash hiders as a direct threat. I don't do this as using the actual direct thread that comes with the gun makes the can shorter. So the advantage of using a brake or flashhider as a direct thread removes the shortness gained by using the actual direct thread.

July 10, 2017, 05:02 PM
mew
I use the FH on all mine also, I dislike brakes except for magnums and without the can the FH suits me just fine. pretty much whatever floats your boat really.....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
July 10, 2017, 07:28 PM
agony
I have brakes on the guns that are shot only with the suppressor and FH on guns that are shot with or without it. I dislike shooting guns with brakes.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"
July 10, 2017, 10:14 PM
DevlDogs55
I have brakes on all my rifles with cans (which is now ALL of my rifles). The sacrificial baffle idea is one I think makes sense, and I don't ever shoot unsuppressed, so the noise of the brake is a moot point. I will say that even though I shoot unsuppressed - my OCD won't let me not have my brake timed well just because I'll always have a can on there. It doesn't take much to do - just a $3 shim set if the one you already have isn't sufficient.

As far as using the flash hider as a direct thread mount - I'm not sure if that's a serious suggestion or not... If it is - Why??? Confused

Do SilencerCo cans not come with direct thread mounts now? It just seems like a terrible idea to me. First, and most importantly - you will unscrew the flash hider from the barrel while the FH is still inside the ASR mount. That means you're putting force on the attachment of the ASR mount when you shouldn't be - both when installing and removing the flash hider from each barrel. You will likely not check the ASR mount each time you re-install the can which would be a mistake. If you DO check the ASR mount each time, you are now doing more work than you would if you had just bought a second FH or MB and installed that on your other rifle.

The ASR mounts are all the same thread size on the can threads. You can buy flash hiders/brakes with ASR mounts for a 5.56 rifle and a 7.62 rifle. The ASR mount fits them both without any changing of parts. They're $65 per brake - why not just have one per rifle?

Also, as noted - if you want a direct thread and you use the flash hider + ASR mount, it's heavier and longer.

There is only one benefit that I could see, and that's not having to buy a muzzle brake/flash hider for each rifle you have. That benefit is absolutely not worth the trouble, and it completely goes away if you are trying to put the can on rifles of multiple calibers. You would have to get different flash hiders anwyways.

Terrible idea!

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema
July 11, 2017, 04:17 PM
David W
I have brakes on all my rifles except my 300blk. I could never get the brake to line up with the shims I had on hand and got tired of trying and mounted a flash hider instead.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
July 12, 2017, 07:35 PM
DevlDogs55
It's definitely worth spending $3 or so on the AAC shim set. There are more shims, and more sizes to be more precise. I think I got mine from Silencer Shop with free shipping.

July 13, 2017, 11:49 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:
Bit of a thread drift

You could, but it would be foolish.

Omega can be set up for direct thread, and if you are going to do that you might as well delete the added weight of the flash hider.

That dealer sounds..... questionable, for suggesting that.

I myself opted for muzzle brakes to act as a sacrificial blast baffle. I would especially recommend this on an SBR, or high intensity cartridges.
July 14, 2017, 11:25 PM
DevlDogs55
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

That dealer sounds..... questionable, for suggesting that.

I feel like that's putting it as nicely as possible.