SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Seeking suppressor suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking suppressor suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of vincent317
posted
I'm looking for suggestions on which make / model suppressor would be best for my needs.

I currently have a P228 (just ordered a threaded barrel for it), a P229 .40, and a P227. The P229 and P227 will have TBs in the near future.

I would like to be able to use one suppressor for all three pistols. I plan on using the suppressor at the range and on my night stand pistol. At this point, I'm not too concerned about cost and am just trying to limit my comparisons to the input I receive here. I am also curious on your thought of user serviceable / non-serviceable offerings or anything else I need to be considering.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Posts: 507 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Practically all handgun cans are user serviceable. In my experience the two I'd look at would be either the Rugged Obsidian or Dead Air's Ghost. Both are awesome.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 3518 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If cost is not a factor, the rage currently are modular suppressors, and two hot suppressors are the Dead Air Ghost M and the Rugged Suppressors Obsidian. They both have the ability suppress .45cal, and therefore 9mm and .40cal. Although not necessary, I think the Obsidian has an available 9mm specific end cap while the Ghost uses wipes. I have both in NFA jail right now. I've only shot the Obsidian in 9mm and it has a very pleasing deep tone.

Another seemingly solid modular suppressor, though not as popular as the other two, is the Griffin Armament Revolution 45. Their newer non-modular Resistance 45 seems like a good value.

Posts: 384 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with an Octane 45 HD for versatility and track record but there a lot of good options.

============================================
See all my firearm photos at
http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...rearms?sort=3&page=1
-----------------------------------
View a photography demo video here:
http://youtu.be/Iftice_BYlE

Posts: 1235 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Silencerco fan, but Dead Air is right up there, have one in my collection. Wouldn't have a problem with Rugged either. My advice, stick with what's known, and not some random company.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MattW,

Posts: 1804 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
As has already been mentioned get a modular can in .45. I've got a Rugged Obsidian in jail for just this reason.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1779 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the ADVANCED ARMAMENTS CORP AAC Ti-Rant 45M and choose the piston option for the .45 ACP. And you will also need to get the pistons for .40 S&W and 9mm and whatever other calibers you are trying to cover.

Personally, I always get a can for each different bore size.

Regards,
arlen

Posts: 158 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Recommendations noted--do you need taller sights for these cans?
How about an AAC Illusion or Silencerco Osprey?
Eccentric cans that allow standard sights.

Posts: 981 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will need taller sights with the Octane if you can't "shoot through the can". I haven't found a need for taller sights yet but some people say they can't do it.

This was just at 30 feet (West German P226) but I doubt I will be using any suppressed centerfire pistols for 50 yard bullseye.

============================================
See all my firearm photos at
http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...rearms?sort=3&page=1
-----------------------------------
View a photography demo video here:
http://youtu.be/Iftice_BYlE

Posts: 1235 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Recommendations noted--do you need taller sights for these cans?
How about an AAC Illusion or Silencerco Osprey?
Eccentric cans that allow standard sights.

Even with the raised sights on my 226 Elite, the Osprey still protrudes into the sight picture. Not the end of the world, just a matter of getting used to it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. It has been an education for me. I had no idea how much I did not know about suppressors until the posts here pointed me in the right direction. After a couple of days of researching the suppressors mentioned in your posts I have narrowed my list down to the following:
Rugged Obsidian 45 (this is my first pick as of today)
Dead Air GhostM
ACC Ti-Rant 45M

Once again, thank you for the education.

Posts: 507 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good list

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 3518 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To piggy back on this, i am looking for a suppressor that will function on a 454cassul lever action shooting 45lc. And move dow. To my 45 acp, 9mm, 40, etc.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
To piggy back on this, i am looking for a suppressor that will function on a 454cassul lever action shooting 45lc. And move dow. To my 45 acp, 9mm, 40, etc.

The only one that is that capable that I can think of off the top of my head is the Silencerco Hybrid. There may well be others out there, if not, there will be soon I suspect.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
I sure do like my tirants.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 14847 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a YHM 22 can & SWR Octane 45, both are built for full-auto Fire ... The 22 can be used on anything up to regular 5.7 rounds. The Octane 45, I use for 9 & 45 and I've been happy with it.

I've also built one and did the form 1 using parts obtained on Amazon that I use on 22LR & 9mm ... It's not quite as effective or pretty as the $700 Octane + $200 for the stamp, but I can shoot regular 22's & 9mm's and including the stamp I've only got $325 in it

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 3863 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post