SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What happens if I mount a suppressor with a Nielsen device on a rifle?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What happens if I mount a suppressor with a Nielsen device on a rifle? Login/Join 
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted
Hey guys,

Considering getting into silencers and I'm pretty ignorant about them, so here's a silly question(s) .

Considering picking up a Liberty Cosmic. At Capitol Armory, it's priced at $735 and comes with a $100 gift card. I'm not completely clear on it, but it appears that it doesn't include any sort of mount. A direct thread 1/2x28 is about $100, and the booster/piston is $135.

I only have two guns, a 5.56 AR and a VP9. I'll need a threaded barrel for the VP9, so there's another $200 when I pick one of these up.

So, does the booster/piston function as a thread adapter for the VP9? If so, I'm wondering what happens if I were to mount that assembly on my AR instead of purchasing the additional direct-thread mount.

Sorry if these are really basic questions, but my googlefu is failing me.

As a final question, I know Silencershop has been the object of some disdain lately; is Capitol Armory good to go?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Report This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Short answer, don't do it.

Long answer is you'll get funky recoil related issues. You can get a fixed barrel spacer for the 1/2x28 piston that replaces the spring and works as a pseudo-endcap. That said, if you're going to be shooting this on an AR I would definitely get the threaded endcap for this purpose.

Capital Armory is good to go.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Report This Post
AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted Hide Post
Accuracy issues and a prematurely fatigued booster spring for certain, with the potential to damage the host weapon.

Spend the bucks and get a dedicated fixed mount, or a fixed barrel spacer.

Mike Smith/AAC

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the Cosmic is rated for 5.56.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Report This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:

It is, Liberty's site lists the calibers it's rated for.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

I stand corrected, thank you.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Report This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Liberty Cosmic--45 caliber diameter suppressor--mono core -titanium.
You have 9 mm and 223.
Liberty Mystic would be better choice for sound suppression.
Rifle needs direct thread, pistol needs recoil spring.
All around, multiple caliber suppressor. Good for 22 thru 9 mm--Mystic. Cosmic for larger 45 caliber-also multiple calibers.
If you add 22 LR -- one can--multiple calibers.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

Just in case anyone missed it, it's a minimum barrel length of 16" if 5.56 is used.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Report This Post