SIGforum
Omega 300 vs Omega 9K

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/2380010824

July 29, 2017, 05:41 PM
Elwood51
Omega 300 vs Omega 9K
Does anyone have first hand experience with both of these cans? I am trying to decide which one to buy for my first silencer, and it comes down to versatility vs performance.

The primary host for this suppressor will be a .300 BLK pistol with a 8.5" barrel. Secondary host will be a 9MM SP2022 for nightstand use. Tertiary hosts will be a 5.56 AR and a .308 AR.

I was initially leaning towards the 9K, since it will fit on all the hosts with various adapters. Then I discovered that the Omega 300 performs much better, 119db vs 133db for 300 BLK. The tradeoff is, it won't run 9MM, and it costs $200 more.

14db seems like a pretty large difference in performance, but I haven't found any youtube videos with a side by side comparison. Is this performance increase worth the extra $200 and loss of versatility?

Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W Two Tone
Sig Sauer P224 No Longer Nickel 9mm
Sig Sauer P290RS 9mm Two Tone
Sig Sauer 1911 RCS
Sig Sauer P220 SAS Special Configuration
Sig Sauer M400 223/556
Sig Sauer P230SL .380
Sig Sauer P239 SAS Gen1 9mm
Sig Sauer P6 9mm
July 29, 2017, 06:35 PM
Cntrl23
Personally, I'd say go with the Omega 300.

I don't have first hand experience with both of those, but can offer Omega 300 vs pistol can rated for .300 Blk subs.

The Omega 300 will work great on your .300 Blk and other rifles. I just picked up my stamp a few weeks ago and love mine. I run mine on .223, .300 Blk, .308, and .30-06, I am definitely impressed with its performance on all of them. One of the hosts I run it on is also a 8.5" .300 Blk, and it sounds/runs great.

My Octane 45 HD is also rated for .300 Blk subsonic, and does not compare to the Omega 300 in terms of suppressing a 208gr .300 Blk round, even running it with a 9mm end cap.

There is also the SilencerCo Hybrid that runs them all with different mounting and endcap options. Of course, if you can cover it all with pistol/rifle, you will be reminded of the old adage "jack of all trades, master of none."

It's always a touch decision! Best of luck
July 29, 2017, 07:50 PM
creslin
I own both of those you're looking at.
I'm pretty sure you CANNOT run 5.56 or 7.62x51(.308) through the 9k.

The 9k is short. It's crazy short. But it makes a tradeoff for that shortness in girth.
It's a chubby little can. I put it on a pistol and I cannot truly aim at the target even with suppressor height sights. The can is just so chubby it blocks the view.

Put onto my MPX - it's fantastic. It's like it was designed for this gun.
Using 147grain 9mm in this thing I can shoot all day long with no hearing protection and be fine.

My Omega300 is my dedicated can for my .300blk Rem700.
It's STUPIDLY quiet with subsonic ammo. I had it out at the range today and the dude shooting next to me thought I was dry-firing.

I have not yet tried the 9k with 300blk - it's on my to-do list.

The size difference between them is considerable. The 300 is almost double the length:

The 300 is likely the more versatile of the two since it can do all the common rifle calibers (.223, .308, etc...) and the 9k cannot.
The 300 also has swappable end caps for use with different guns. The 9k does not.

If you're in the Raleigh,NC area - I'm more than happy to let you try these things out.

This is where my signature goes.
July 29, 2017, 09:14 PM
Elwood51
quote:

This is an important point that I had not noticed. I just figured if the hole is big enough, it will run 5.56 and .308. Are the velocities too high on rifle rounds?

quote:

It's STUPIDLY quiet with subsonic ammo.

I'm interested in stupid quiet, but I don't know that I can get there with an 8.5" barrel. Perhaps "a little slow" quiet is the best I can hope for.

quote:
I have not yet tried the 9k with 300blk - it's on my to-do list.

I'd be interested in the results! In the one video I found online, it still sounded pretty loud.

quote:

If you're in the Raleigh,NC area - I'm more than happy to let you try these things out.

Thanks for the offer, but I am in Texas. Dang it!

Thanks for the input guys, I am leaning towards the 300 now. It's great to be able to talk to knowledgeable people before spending a lot of money.

Sig Sauer 1911 RCS
Sig Sauer M400 223/556
Sig Sauer P230SL .380
Sig Sauer P6 9mm
July 29, 2017, 10:07 PM
SigM4
I can tell you that even with an 8.5" barrel you're going to get pretty stupid quiet with 300 BLK. The only thing better is a bolt action .22.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
July 29, 2017, 10:21 PM
Cntrl23
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I can tell you that even with an 8.5" barrel you're going to get pretty stupid quiet with 300 BLK. The only thing better is a bolt action .22.

Absolutely agree.

...or maybe 165 Gr HUSH 9mm as well Big Grin
July 30, 2017, 02:35 AM
choang3
As others have stated, for your requirements (9mm, 300BLK, 5.56, and .308), neither suppressor will be able to do it all. The Omega 9K is only rated for 9mm and 300BLK, both super- and subsonic, and the Omega 300 cannot shoot 9mm since the aperture is too small.

As Cntrl23 mentioned, you can get all of your needs fulilled by the SilencerCo Hydrid if you're truly looking to purchase just one suppressor. Although it suppresses wonderfully, the size just makes it really goofy and awkward on a 9mm pistol; it's perfectly at home on the 9mm pistol-caliber carbine, .308, 300 BLK, and 5.56. Another option is the Griffin Armament Optimus. Both of these cans are well regarded but my preference is the Optimus given its modularity; it's not goofy long or fat on a pistol; it's user-serviceable; and it's tough as nails. It also comes with a piston booster assembly in 1/2 x 28 for you to thread onto your 9mm pistol; you don't get that with the Hybrid. The Optimus also comes with a minimalist taper mount muzzle break to mount onto your 300BLK/.308. Of course it comes with a direct thread adapter, so basically it comes with most of your mounting needs.

I have all four of these suppressors and given your requirements, my pick would be the Griffin Optimus, again if you're truly looking to purchase just one. Once you buy one, though, I guarantee you'll buy another.
August 10, 2017, 11:40 AM
Elwood51
Found a place on GunBroker selling the Omega 300 for $699. Had to jump on that deal. IN addition, the Form 3 transfer only took three days, I was expecting a month. I'll be heading down to the LGC, who happens to be the FFL transfer agent as well, to turn in the Form 4 paperwork. Then the real wait begins.

Anyone willing to bet the HPA passes before I get my tax stamp? ;-)

Thanks for the input guys, I feel like I made the right choice, and I may end up buying the 9K after all for my SP2022. Someday.

Sig Sauer 1911 RCS
Sig Sauer M400 223/556
Sig Sauer P230SL .380
Sig Sauer P6 9mm
August 10, 2017, 11:58 AM
choang3
Not a bad deal at all, and you'll really like it. Definitely get the Omega 9K--it's also a really good suppressor. Congratulations!
October 16, 2017, 11:08 AM
Sid Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
My Omega300 is my dedicated can for my .300blk Rem700.
It's STUPIDLY quiet with subsonic ammo. I had it out at the range today and the dude shooting next to me thought I was dry-firing.

I thought mine was good on my Remmy 700 until I put it on a 16" AAC 300BO AR-15. Eek

If you think you bolt gun is quiet, wait until you try it on an AR-15, in my case the AAC 16" version.
October 16, 2017, 11:14 AM
Sid Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood51:
quote:

This is an important point that I had not noticed. I just figured if the hole is big enough, it will run 5.56 and .308. Are the velocities too high on rifle rounds?

It's not so much velocity as it is pressure. Over pressure is what hurts cans the most (other than heat). For example, 6.8SPC is fine in my Omega with a 16" barrel, not with anything shorter. No, it won't pop like a baloon but, it will wear it out much faster.

quote:
quote:

It's STUPIDLY quiet with subsonic ammo.

I'm interested in stupid quiet, but I don't know that I can get there with an 8.5" barrel. Perhaps "a little slow" quiet is the best I can hope for.

220/240gr 300BO from a short barrel is stupid quiet, similar to 147gr 9mm on a good pistol can.

quote:
quote:

Thanks for the offer, but I am in Texas. Dang it!

Texas is a big state! What part are you from? I'm in EAST Texas!
October 16, 2017, 11:22 AM
Sid Post
quote:
Found a place on GunBroker selling the Omega 300 for $699. Had to jump on that deal. IN addition, the Form 3 transfer only took three days, I was expecting a month. I'll be heading down to the LGC, who happens to be the FFL transfer agent as well, to turn in the Form 4 paperwork. Then the real wait begins.

Darn good choice. I'd put the mount on your rifles now! Do you get to demo your can at the dealer or is it hands off until the paperwork clears?

quote:
Anyone willing to bet the HPA passes before I get my tax stamp? ;-)

HPA is dead. Now with Las Vegas and Hillary's claim Las Vegas would have been worse with HPA, dream on .....

Frown Mad Frown
October 26, 2017, 08:32 PM
Bri0242
I own both a Omega 9k and Hybrid. The Hybrid is a jack of all trades master of none. I've shot it on a 18" 300WM and 45/70, and it does a fantastic job. However, it's a large heavy can. The Omega 9k is a great can as well. It's heavy, but built like a tank. It looks sick on a CZ Scorpion SBR. As mentioned before, the Hybrid would be the most versatile.
November 01, 2017, 07:17 PM
swage
You chose wisely. My shooting buddy has the Omega 300 and I have the Sandman L. You cannot tell the difference in performance between the two and the Omega is much lighter and shorter.
November 22, 2017, 07:49 PM
creslin
To kinda resurrect this old thread...

I finally got around to taking both the Omega 300 and the Omega 9k out today.
I placed them each on my MCX in .300blk with a 9" barrel.

They were both considerably louder than the bolt gun I have (of course).
However what REALLY surprised me... the 9k seemed quieter than the 300.

You'd think that the larger can would have more sound suppression - but both myself and the girlfriend decided that the smaller 9k was the clear winner.

November 24, 2017, 01:41 AM
agony
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
To kinda resurrect this old thread...

I finally got around to taking both the Omega 300 and the Omega 9k out today.
I placed them each on my MCX in .300blk with a 9" barrel.

They were both considerably louder than the bolt gun I have (of course).
However what REALLY surprised me... the 9k seemed quieter than the 300.

You'd think that the larger can would have more sound suppression - but both myself and the girlfriend decided that the smaller 9k was the clear winner.

What rounds were you running?
Where you using the muzzle brake endcap on the 300?
I ask only because I've found the opposite to be true, running handloaded subs with a custom titanium 7.62 flat front cap on the Omega 762. 8.5" and 10" 300blk barrel.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"
November 24, 2017, 10:48 AM
creslin
Hornady black 208 grain subs.

Yes I was using the default end cap for the 300.