SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    1X8" twist for SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1X8" twist for SBR Login/Join 
posted
Well I finally got my form 1 SBR stamp. Now to build/buy an SBR upper.

I have found a couple of uppers for sale, but they aren't exactly what I want. So it's either buy one, take parts off and replace with what I really want or build from scratch.

On building from scratch, that brings me to the question. Would a 1X8" twist in a 10.5" barrel stabilize a heavy 75gr bullet good enough not to worry about baffle strikes?

One of the barrels I'm looking at is a Faxon barrel. It's a 10.5" 5.56X45mm with a 1X8"twist.

I know that the 1X8" twist in a longer barrel is more than good enough to stabilize heavy bullets up to 90gr in a 20" barrel, I'm just wondering if it's good enough in the shorter length.

The other one I'm looking at is a 1X7" twist. I'll mostly be using 55gr at the range, but the 75gr bullet would be used for home defense.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got that exact 1x8 10.5" barrel. I've shot some 75gr bullets through it while it was wearing my form 1 can. No issues.

I'm pretty much in love with Faxon barrels for that price point.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've got that exact 1x8 10.5" barrel. I've shot some 75gr bullets through it while it was wearing my form 1 can. No issues.

That's good to know. I figured that it would be good enough, but being short made me think.

I have see bullets not stabilize enough because of low velocity.

Since this will wear a "can" sometime in the near future. I didn't want to take a chance with baffle strikes.

I'll be putting in the order soon for the Faxon barrel.

ARman

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

That's good to know. I figured that it would be good enough, but being short made me think.

I have see bullets not stabilize enough because of low velocity.

Since this will wear a "can" sometime in the near future. I didn't want to take a chance with baffle strikes.

I'll be putting in the order soon for the Faxon barrel.

ARman

I will say that the can is a .30 caliber can. So it's got a little extra "wiggle room" so to speak. But looking at targets there were no key holes or symptoms of under stabilization.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be building/using a .30 caliber can also. I'm hoping to get my form 1 stamp for the suppressor soon.

Thanks for the information, I just want to get as much information.

ARman